Chapter 11

Follow @Benitobonita so you do not miss my stories.

A long-tailed primate emitted furious cries while swinging on a billboard pole featuring a photograph of a political candidate running for the position of district head. In contrast to the cheerful face portrayed on the towering billboard, the long-tailed monkey's expression revealed negative emotions.

"I bet if he's still swinging up there in two hours, he'll crash into the billboard," Labih said irritably. The plywood used as self-promotion material swayed joyfully with the monkey's movements.

Fortunately, the newly asphalted road appeared clear, though some motorcyclists had stopped by the roadside to watch the monkey's performance. Angelina, standing beside Labih, tried to focus on her task.

She used binoculars to observe the primate that seemed lost from its group. It had a long mustache and tail, indicating that it was male. However, the memory of their last hug suddenly came to Angelina. Ramaik had embraced her openly until their bodies collided.

"So, should we set the trap, then?" Labih's question abruptly brought Angelina back to reality.

The woman lowered her binoculars and responded, "Let's lure it with food first; they tend to be friendly to humans."

Labih raised an eyebrow. The bearded man scratched his chin, mimicking the monkey's actions, diligently picking fleas from its fur while still hanging by its feet. Then, he turned around and called out, "Mr. Ramaik! Retrieve the bananas from the trunk! I'll search for bamboo; perhaps it will come down willingly for a banana offering."

Angelina stole a glance as she heard the car door open. Her heart raced when she briefly caught sight of Ramaik standing behind her.

"Angel, h-help."

Paul's imaginary voice reverberated instantly in Angelina's ears. She quickly averted her face, distancing herself from her husband's killer. She tried to suppress the throbbing pain that now afflicted her heart as she observed the hungry monkey species.

*****

The sound of a hammer nailing wood rang loudly. Labih stood near the swaying billboard, pushing a bamboo pole with a banana tied to its end. The muscular man wore his sweetest expression and coaxed the monkey with the most melodious voice.

"Yummy, delicious banana. So tasty."

The seemingly unsatisfied monkey watched the banana with suspicion. It emitted ear-piercing sounds before displaying its acrobatic skills with joyful somersaults.

Angelina and the onlookers paled as the billboard swung more vigorously. She turned to the makeshift carpenter with impatience in her voice, "Ramaik, are you done yet?"

The hammer's sound ceased abruptly. The man, previously engrossed in constructing the one-meter-square hollow cage, thinned his lips and shot an annoyed glance at Angelina, who sat on the edge of a massive plant pot. He replied tersely, "It'd be faster if you helped."

"Hey, don't move too much! Banana, here's a banana! Delicious! The banana's amazing!" Labih exclaimed in panic. He held the two-meter-long bamboo stick, extending the banana toward the target. "Delicious banana, especially when fried – yum, fried banana!"

A soft murmur escaped Angelina's lips. She got up and approached reluctantly, then crouched beside the man who had just finished one side of the cage. "So, what do I do?"

Ramaik noticed Angelina's displeased frown. Nonetheless, he boldly disregarded her sulky expression, taking her hand and placing it on the newly nailed board while saying, "Hold it here."

Angelina widened her eyes. She hissed in annoyance as she pulled her hand away. "Ramaik, stop touching me. It's not polite."

"So, are you helping or not?" Ramaik replied lazily. He casually twirled the hammer while Angelina edged backward. "Or should we just use tranquilizer darts and be done with it?"

"Hansome monkey! This banana is yummy! Delicious banana!"

Labih's amateur persuasions, clearly audible to Angelina, intensified the mental pressure, prompting her to exclaim, "I'll assist in holding it! Hurry, the board might fall!"

Angelina's fingers moved to grasp the wooden beam as instructed. She turned her face away when a faint smirk appeared on Ramaik's lips. She lamented her misfortune silently.

*****

A series of protests echoed from the cage made by Ramaik. The long-tailed creature shouted at Labih with various insults atop the open truck parked next to the RTW team's Toyota.

The sun was high in the sky as Angelina paced around the nearest lamppost, whispering into her device. She stole a glance and noticed that Ramaik, Nanjan, and Labih were discussing the monkey's fate: whether to wait for the Wildlife Authority team to pick it up, join an orangutan hunting mission, or have it delivered to a sanctuary by Nanjan. Before she could ask, with a small voice, "Is there a job opening at Sanctuary Island?"

Ramaik suddenly turned his head towards Angelina. The woman, standing fifteen meters away from the eavesdropper, distanced herself while listening to the response from the phone.

"At the moment, we need more operators than doctors, Doctor."

Angelina took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. The salary of an operator responsible for feeding the orangutans amounted to just a third of her current monthly earnings. Nevertheless, she felt compelled to prioritize her common sense. She bit her lip and said in a hoarse tone, "When can I start working at th—"

Huh?!

Angelina's words abruptly cut off as someone seized the phone from her hand. She was left wide-eyed, and Ramaik's voice compelled her to turn her head involuntarily.

"Planning to run away?"

"Who's running away?!" Angelina's cheeks suddenly felt hot. She grabbed her handphone from Ramaik's hand and immediately pocketed it. "It's impolite to eavesdrop on someone else's call!"

Their gazes locked before Angelina pouted and attempted to walk away. However, after just three steps, Ramaik's words brought her to a sudden halt.

"Angel, Nixon is still alive."

What?!

Angelina's legs spun around abruptly. Her eyes widened as she gazed at Ramaik's inscrutable expression.

There was a moment of silence. Ramaik seemed to be trying to arrange his words as he finally said, "The reason I'm here is also to find Nixon's whereabouts, and as you can see ... I need assistance monitoring my health."

Dear readers, please press the star button.