36. Running in circles

"Miss Aranya, I trusted you with this case, you knew way damn well how important this was for me and yet we lost," Mr Patel says in a deadly voice, we are discussing the proceedings of today's case.

"Mr Patel, you have no right to scream at me, I am doing my job very well" I reply trying to be as calm as I can.

"Oh is it so? Miss Aranya if you had done your job well, the outcome would have been in our favour" he says and slams the files on the desk causing me to flinch.

"Mr Patel" I say as I stand up from the chair.

"You were part of the company, how come you were not aware of the last-minute change" I argue, this is now way he can talk to me.

"I pay you, not the other way around Miss Aranya, I am not answerable to you" he screams suddenly.

"Mr Patel, I think you are not in the right sense of mind. I will leave now and we will talk about this later" I state and pick up my bag. I turn around without waiting for his reply when I feel a tug, I turn around to find him pulling me back.

"LEAVE ME" I retaliate out loud but he does not listen I try to get out of his grip but he is twice my size, how the heck can anyone not listen to me shouting so loud?

"I though you will be an asset, he will calm down knowing that I have you in my hands but doesn't look like he gives a shit about you anymore?" he murmurs in a deadly calm voice, I manage to get my hand out of his grip and maintain a distance.

"Who the heck are you talking about?" I ask utterly confused.

"Vihan, VIHAN DAMN KASHYAP" he shouts, slamming the chair on the floor.

"How has he anything to do with this" I ask, there are a hundred questions in my head right now, I always knew there was something shady about this, why will a high profile case get handed to a fresher? I should have thought of it beforehand.

"He has everything to do with this, the actual owner of all these companies is Vihan Kashyap, Vrikalic was just a cover-up for a barter between us and him for the supply of guns, Vihan accidentally got to know about this and fired the CEO of Vrikalic, now that both companies combine, my money is stuck in there forever," he says taking a seat.

"But why me? It's been years since we divorced" I state crossing my arms, determined to get all the answers.

"I never wanted you to fight the case, you are the link to Vihan, so he gives heed to me, I thought if I came to you, he would come finding me like a lost puppy but I guess he is moved on, you are useless," he says with irritation.

"Why hasn't he complained to the police then?" I ask.

"Do you think he cares about Vrikalic? No, he owns stakes in 200 companies or even more, he just wanted a clean slate, if he goes to the police, Vrikalic will be dragged with me, I have tried meeting him but no response, I had no other options but to file a case to get his attention" he says taking a sip of water.

"Fine, he didn't but I will, I stand with law," I say shifting my gaze.

"Aww sweetie, now that I know Vihan has nothing to do with you I won't hesitate to pass a bullet right through you if even try doing anything" he states standing up.

"You don't scare me" I reply looking straight into his eyes.

"You should be," he says and opens the door for me.

"Leave and don't you dare file a complaint or you won't be seeing another day," he says with a smirk. I got out of there and booked a cab, as I was pinning the location I contemplated what I should do, should I complain? I should, this is wrong, this is my job. I set the location at a police station, the cab comes in a while, I sit in there and my mind shifts to Vihan, I had never really thought about us, I was busy making a living for myself, it's weird how one day changed everything. I get out of my stance as I see that we have shifted from the main road to a different one, there wasn't any traffic here, and the road was covered by tree leaves indicating it's not much in use, I understood the underlying intention, I grab my phone subtly and start calling 100 but before I could my head bumped on the front seat due to sudden break, with no chance of comprehension a hand pulled me out recklessly before I could know what is happening I was thrown on the road with a thud, my phone fell far away due to the sudden push. I opened my eyes slowly but received a sudden blow in my abdomen, someone kicked me, and it hurt like anything, I again tried to at least see the face and I was horrified with what my eyes met, there were five people including the driver surrounding me.I tried to get up but again received a kick on my chest, one of them came with a rock and was about to throw at me when the other guy stopped him.

"Don't boss has only asked to teach her a lesson, not to kill her" he said throwing that rock away.The other guy stomped on my face causing blood to rush out of it, in the dim evening light I could now only see their silhouettes as one of them bent to my level and observed me keenly, I turned my face away in total disgust, he bent further down to a point where could feel his breathing on my cheek, I had no strength left in me to defend myself, I closed my eyes tight expecting a slap but he kept coming close and whispered in my ear "Next time you try anything like this you won't be spared, will be a waste of such a beautiful body".

All of them just left leaving me there helplessly, I couldn't move an inch due to the pain in my abdomen, and there were no passersby after I don't know how long I heard a sound, the sound of ring on my phone, it was few steps away from me, I tried getting up but nothing worked, finally I crawled towards my phone, the screen was broken I could see the called ID, Oviya, I accepted the call getting a relief.

"Aranya where are you, it's 11 pm, we have a dinner planned today come on" she rants, I try to speak up but only a ah leaves my mouth.

"Aranya" she spells out, concern evident in her voice.

"Aranya where are you? What happened?" she asks, I try to speak but my jaw doesn't let me, I look at my phone again, it's covered with blood, I touch my cheek only to find half of my face covered with blood.

"Aranya are you there?" she asks again.

"Ovi- I- help" is all I could spell.

"Aranya where are you, send me the location" she panics.

"I don-no, ovi" 

"Relax, send me live location on WhatsApp," she says, I could hear the jingling of her car keys through the phone. I kept the call going and prayed to god that my phone still worked and it did, I was able to send her a live location.

"Keep the call going Aranya, I am coming," she says, I don't bother replying mostly because I can't. I just lay there silently looking at starts, I am here again, helpless, I thought I had grown stronger but how wrong was I, in a while I can feel the headlights of a car coming towards me, I scrunch my eyes as they can't stand sudden flash of light.

"Aranyaaa, how did this happen? Are you okay?" Oviya says running towards me, she holds me in her hands, making me sit with support but a gasp escapes my lips due to my abdomen. I cry, I cry my heart out as she holds me still on the road. After a while she makes me stand with her support, and we walk towards her car, she opens the door and makes me sit slowly, I see my face in the side mirror covered with blood, purple marks everywhere.

"Aranya I am taking you to the hospital" she says as she puts the seat belt on, the cold wind hits my face, making my scars hurt more but I don't bother closing the window, I let everything seep into me and when I can't take it anymore, I close my eyes and escape this all.

--------------

HI GUYS, A VERY BIG NEWS, many of you have been asking me about my Instagram handle and tadaaa, I made one yesterday, YOU CAN FOLLOW ME NOW ON @Rarefromwattpad on Instagram. Where in you can get to know more of me, my posting schedule and reels of characters hehe.

I will be sharing reels, spoilers and maybeeeeee a give away!!!

Also vote and comment yaar, it's free common!!