(11) Car Ride

MICHEAL POV

It didn't take me long to get bored of looking at the scenery passing through the window. Music from the radio played softly in the background, it sounded like country, but not a song that I knew.

I reached into my pocket for my phone and I panicked when I didn't feel it. I patted down my pockets and looked around me, but it was no where to be found.

I tried thinking back to when I had it last; I don't remember using it at all this morning. It must be somewhere in my room or around the house.

Sighing, I abandon the thought of entertainment and accept that I will be bored for the remainder of the car ride. My hands find my drawstring and I start fiddling with them, picking at the fraying threads.

"Something wrong bud?" Daniel asks, glancing at me through the rear view mirror. I shake my head.

"Words please bub."

"No." I say softly.

"Here sweets, why don't you play a game on my phone until we get to the mall?" Amelia holds out her phone for me to grab. I take it and mutter a thanks.

Looking through the already opened phone I notice Amelia doesn't have a lot of games or much of anything to do on it. Most of the games look like they are for younger kids, so I pick what I think will be the most entertaining for now: fruit ninja.

I swipe my finger across the screen, slicing the fruit in half. My concentration grows as I become invested in the game.

Bombs start popping up on the screen as the game gets harder. I swipe faster and faster, trying to make sure I don't hit the bombs. The game progressively gets harder and harder, but I keep up. I'm swiping vigorously, all my concentration on the game.

Multiple bombs pop up and before I can stop my finger from hitting one of them, a white flash fills the screen. For a couple of seconds, in big red words reads game over, but it leaves and the home page returns.

Without thinking a curse leaves my mouth, and I throw the phone on the seat next to me.

"Woah, Micheal! We do not use that kind of language young man, and we do not throw things." Daniel says, his voice firm as he looks back at me in the rear view mirror.

"Why not?!" I challenge, frustration clouding my head. My once decent mood, dropping dramatically.

"It is not appropriate for you to say, not to mention it is disrespectful." This man I only met like a day ago can't tell me what I can and cannot say! This is a free country! I can say whatever I want, whenever I want!

"I wasn't even saying it to anyone!" I try to defend myself, my arms crossed over my chest.

"That doesn't matter. You shouldn't be saying those words at all, and please no shouting. Use your inside voice." Daniel stays firm on his beliefs, his voice staying annoying calm.

"Now what's got you so worked up sweets?" Amelia ask me, turning in her seat so she can look at me. Effectively ending Daniel's and my argument.

I mouth opens and closes a couple of times but nothing comes out. Feeling embarrassed now, I don't want to say I got upset at a stupid video game.

The silence seems to stretch on for forever, as it begins to feel to awkward to try and answer Amelia now. So I decide to do one of the only things I know how to do, I ignore her.

A bad feeling fills my stomach, but I can't understand what it is or why I'm feeling it. I try to push the feeling away but no matter how hard I try it won't leave me alone.