Compulsion Part 7

Two weeks later Georgia stood outside the local school hall doing her best not to show just how embarrassed she felt. But her predicament was mortifying. "My sister Caitlin was invited." Georgia said calmly and quietly, hoping not to draw any attention. She informed the organisers that I would be attending in her place. Caitlin was away on an assignment and Georgia had agreed to take her place at this fund raising event. Now Georgia wished she hadn't agreed to be here, given how embarrassing things were. She was having to practically beg to be allowed in!

"Your name isn't on the list." The tall burly man glanced at the list again, "And neither is your sister's." He added somewhat apologetically before he spoilt it by shrugging as if that was the end of the matter.

"There must be some mistake." Georgia said quietly. She tried to ignore some of the pitying looks she received from a group who had just arrived. They spoke their names to the other man and within seconds he had allowed them to proceed.

"Sorry. I can only let those on the list through." Came the polite but firm reply. The doorman flipped the list on his smartpad and then shrugged again as if that was the end of the matter. Georgia was coming to hate that shrug.

"Is there a problem?"

Georgia closed her eyes. She knew that voice. Great. Perfect. More humiliation.

"Georgia." Elias said by way of greeting as he stepped toward the two people at the door and came and stood alongside Georgia. "Everything ok?" He looked at the two men at the door and then at Georgia. She looked distinctly uncomfortable.

"Yes." She said instantly. She should just turn around and make a dash for her car.

A dark brow rose at her blatant attempt to lie and Elias waited a second before he asked firmly, "What's going on?" It was obvious from the body language of all concerned that something wasn't quite right. It was more obvious from her facial expression that she was trying to hide something from him. Her eyes did not make contact with his.

"Nothing." Georgia tugged her coat closer and started to turn away. She was not going to stay here and look stupid, even more stupid, in front of him. Time to beat a hasty retreat.

"Where are you going?" Elias frowned at her. She was clearly dressed for this social event. He, like her, remembered the last time they had attended a social event here, together. Chalk and cheese difference. This time she looked desperate not to be seen with him, whereas the last time he'd been the idiot who'd tried not to be seen with her. She looked beautiful this evening. Her hair and makeup were immaculate. Surely she couldn't have reached the conclusion that it would be better for her to leave rather than attend the event just because she had discovered he was here.

"Home." She murmured mortified to be found in this situation, by this man. Typical. It was just typical. Georgia shrugged as she finally admitted, "There's been a mistake." He was bound to find out what was happening here. She might as well be up front about it.

Elias glanced at the doorman with a question is his eyes as he hoped the man would shed more light on the situation given Georgia's reticence to supply details. The doorman shrugged apologetically but responded to the quiet authority in Elias' stance, "I'm following instructions. Only those on the list can attend." The man told Elias. "Her name isn't on the list."

Georgia squirmed. Oh that sounded as if she was attempting to gate crash the event.

"Caitlin was invited. She can't make it so she asked me to represent her." Georgia launched into speech, ashamed to find herself having to justify her presence here. Once again it reminded her of the last time she and Elias were at this hall for a social event. Over fourteen years ago and it felt like yesterday. Worse now, she nearly laughed. This was more humiliating. More embarrassing. She pursed her lips to stop herself from laughing hysterically and then she turned to leave.