before

She knew it had been a week, but it felt like months since she had heard from the ninja, actual months since seeing them. But who was she kidding? They were always off some where fighting a bad guy. Skylor had seen it firsthand. First, her father and his assistant clause, the time twins, the crystal king. There was always someone new. Though it was a lot more peaceful since the overlord was defeated for good. Nya and Jay finally had their wedding, Lloyd was able to bond with his father after the crystal saga, and Kai and skylor had finally defined their relationship as they said they would after the crystal king was defeated. It was nice that there was more of a calmer period.

Skylor was taking a vacation to chens island, she hadn't cut communication, but it felt like she was off the map.

It was less of a vacation but more of a 'I'm-almost-done-cleaning-up-after-the-mess-my-supervillain-dad-made' sort of thing. But after a lot of hard work and trips, the place was starting to look better.

Skylor sat on the throne her father once sat on. It was one of the last things she decided to keep in the temple. She didn't admit why, but it was mostly because she liked the buttons (some of which were repurposed.)

She sat sideways on the throne, the sun was setting and the flaming torches lit the temple walls and a path to the dock. It was a lovely orange color.

Skylor got a text from her phone.

(Kai): wyd?

Skylor smiled. There hasn't been much from anyone in a while. Maybe the ninja had just defeated their villain and they were back to relaxing. Skylor typed her reply.

(Skylor): sitting on my dads old throne, watching the sun set from the island.

(Kai): jealous, I love sunsets.

(Skylor): is the sun not setting rn?

(Kai): cloudy 😒

Skylor snickered. She didn't know entirely why. It was just nice knowing she was having a better time by being at the island.

(Skylor): aww, too bad, it might be the best one I've seen.

(Skylor): wish you were here

(Kai): me too, pepper😘

Skylor covered her smile, she was alone in the temple but it felt like an instinct. Pepper was a nickname kai had given her due to her spicy personality and her ability to make amazing noodles. The nickname also worked for Kai, red being his favourite color and him having the power of fire. The nickname wasn't old but it stuck pretty quickly.

(Skylor): so what r you doing?

(Kai): we just got the last remaining group of overlord supporters, apparently some people liked being crystals.

(Kai): kinda weird, but they were just regular people, except that mr F had broken out again and was trying to lead them.

(Skylor): oof.

(Skylor): how's everyone?

(Kai): pretty good, pixal got a little banged up during the remaining overlord sympathizers thing, Zane's not too happy about that.

(Skylor): oh no, what happened?

(Kai): I wasn't there, but mr F took her as hostage, hurt her pretty bad for information. She's fine, but a little dismembered in some parts.

(Skylor): oh that's terrible, I hope she gets better.

(Kai): me too.

Skylor sighed. She knew stuff like this happened all the time, but pixal being hurt was never a nice scene. She had the fewest enemies. You didn't get to see that a lot.

(Kai): you still there?

Skylor turned back to her phone.

(Skylor): yeah, just thinking.

(Kai): abt what?

(Skylor): just stuff in general.

(Kai): not me??🥺

(Skylor): lol

(Kai): okay but seriously, you should come back to ninjago city, I miss you ❤️ 

(Skylor): miss u too 💕 

When Kai didn't reply, Skylor assumed he had put his phone down to do something else. Skylor should probably get going too. She didn't have long until the sunset turned into night. She sat straight on the chair and pressed a button. The circular floor of the room started to lift up slowly. Skylor jumped off the chair and onto the floor. She had done some engineering with Nya and pixal one of the times and this was one of the few things she added. The floor lifted to the second floor.

She walked off the platform and onto the actual stationary floor. The other floor lowered back down. She looked at all the doors of the rooms that once housed the elemental masters. She had stripped the rooms down and changed them all to look the same. Skylor was planning on turning the island into a hotel or resort, to help with finances in case the noodle business didn't work out. It was always nice to get extra money anyway. Skylor instinctively went to her old room. She had slept over at the island many times and she always stayed in this one.

Skylor closed her door behind her and walked across the room. She dropped her phone on her bed. She slid open the doors to the balcony. The sun was really setting now. She closed the doors and got into bed.

Tomorrow she would go back to ninjago.