The Story Of Us

*Spot's POV*

The past year has been a blur. I barely remember the day Hannah and I left. I remember that as we were going down a backroad no one else was on, I threw my phone out the window. I remember Hannah sitting in the backseat quietly, not asking me any questions. But I don't remember the parking lot. I thought about it a lot at first, but then I pushed it away and eventually, most of the details went away.

The same goes for the rest of the year. I wasn't really present at any given moment. I tried my best to be there for Hannah, especially when she wasn't fitting in at her new school. But there were just times when I couldn't focus on what was going on. Almost lost my job because of it.

After leaving the parking lot of the elementary school, I drove until we got a little over the Pennsylvania border. I found a small town with a small school, and then I found the local motel. I asked if there were any places to stay long term, and they told me the motel was the best place, and they could house me for up to two years if I had the money. So, that's where we stayed.

I got a new phone, and without my old one, there was nothing to transfer. A blank start. Exactly what you wanted. I got Hannah enrolled in the school. They didn't ask for any form of ID or papers when I checked the guardian box on the paperwork. They looked the other way, which I was very happy for. I quit school, got a job at the local fire station. After a lot of training, I was hired as a junior firefighter. I got paid by the number of hours I worked, which wasn't a lot, so I got a second job at a restaurant on main street. I made money and was able to provide for Hannah and me.

There were still times when I missed Brooklyn. I missed the new group of friends I had unexpectedly ended up with. I missed football on some occasions. I missed my mom a lot, and I prayed every night that she was somewhere safe. I could tell Hannah missed her too, even Dad sometimes. I felt sorry for taking her away from everything she knew, but I had to protect her.

And I really missed you. I missed having someone to hold and talk to. I missed having that sense of comfort, that sense of home that I found in you. I missed your laugh, your smile, the way you talked, and the way you lit up my entire world. When I missed you a lot, I would turn on Taylor Swift. I listened to album after album, song after song, every one hitting me deeply and reminding me of you and the pain I caused both of us.

There was one song that when I found it, I immediately figured out the connection. I listened to it a lot more than I did others.

I used to think one day we'd tell the story of us
How we met and the sparks flew instantly
And people would say, "They're the lucky ones"

I used to know my place was the spot next to you
Now I'm searching the room for an empty seat
'Cause lately, I don't even know what page you're on

Oh, a simple complication
Miscommunications lead to fallout
So many things that I wish you knew
So many walls up, I can't break through

Now I'm standing alone in a crowded room, and we're not speaking

And I'm dying to know, is it killing you like it's killing me? Yeah

I don't know what to say since the twist of fate when it all broke down
And the story of us looks a lot like a tragedy now

Hannah and I ended up back in Brooklyn when I got word from our dad's brother that he put Dad in rehab, and we should come visit. I didn't bring us back to visit him. I brought us back to visit our friends.