𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

The breeze grows cooler with the rising moon, and as the dark clouds disperse, the stars emerge, casting a gentle glow over our small gathering. Seated on a modest hill overlooking a guard railing, I find a comfortable spot between Ethan and Benny, who watch over Allison and Scott positioned a few feet ahead of us. Stiles scoots over to the three of us, his presence is met with a frown from Benny and a defensive posture from Ethan.

"Hey," Stiles begins tentatively.

"What do you want?" Ethan growls.

"Just wanted to give Allison and Scott some alone time," he explains, glancing back at them. He settles next to Benny, who wears a discernibly uncertain expression. "Okay, look-"

"No, man. That was ridiculous! I don't know why you and your friend have been acting so creepy, but you need to cut it out" Benny rejects firmly.

"Let me explain, alright?"

"Explain what? We met you only recently and both Allison and I are new to town. Kinda freaky you waned to drive us into a dark forest."

"I know, I know and I'm not discounting what you felt but can I just tell our side?" Stiles continues, still squatted next to Benny. "Scott asked me to help him score a date with Allison for the homecoming dance. Last year's date ended badly. He figured a new girl would have a new impression. That's why he's been whispering and acting all kinds of weird. Then, when I accidentally hit you with my car–sorry about that, by the way—he realised you were talking with Allison. He saw an opportunity and thought, "Let's get them both to join us for lunch." Somehow, it worked. Anyway, he wanted to invite her to dinner so he could get a better opportunity to ask her. That's why he suggested I pay the bill and insisted you both come on a drive with us. So, he could be with her, keep it casual, and not make her feel weird about it."

"Well, he already fucked up on that. Being freaky and persistent, then driving off without headlights will do the opposite."

"I see that now..." he looks away. "But he just wanted to show off, truly. I mean you three gotta understand, especially you two. Isn't there a girl that you just want to prove to that you wanna be hers?" Benny glances at Ethan, a certain individual coming to mind.

"I guess so," Ethan admits. "But that still gives you no right! I had no clue where you'd gone. Next time, tell us if you're gonna pull a stunt like this, jackass."

"Yeah, dickwad," Benny follows.

"Well, I guess it was fun. Not when I thought I would die, but for the most part," the side of my lip rises into an awkward smile. I direct my gaze away from the horizon towards Scott and Allison. I watch her rest her head on his shoulder as he wraps his arm around her and pulls her closer. "Damn, he works fast."

"Yeah, because he spent days laying the fucking groundwork. Whatever, I'm not getting involved in his business again. His plans never work," he grumbles finally sitting down on the dirt. I shiver, as the temperature decreases.

"I guess he owes you one. Gotta help you get a date for the dance, right?" He looks over at me, a glisten of light in his eye.

"Haha, yeah," he sighs.

"We better get going, Stiles. See you Monday. 8:00 for a ride, right?" Ethan chuckles.

"Nah, too early. 8:20," he yawns.

"Oh, and you're okay with taking Allison home?"

"Yeah, it's cool, Ethan. Sorry again about scaring you guys. I guess pulling out a flask and then driving recklessly wasn't the best impression."

"Yeah but good for a getaway," I laugh. An image suddenly flashes in my mind. Deep blue eyes, glowing against the black forest. I shudder at the thought. It was nothing. Adrenaline was just pumping through my veins and I wasn't thinking properly. I stand with Ethan and Benny, dusting off the dirt from my pants. We set off down the path but I gander ​​back to Allison for an instant. "Call me when you get home, Allison!" I call out to her. She raises a thumb in the air for confirmation.