Part 1: Chapter 4: Firefly

When we were younger, I would help Finnick and his family with fishing. He would pick me up early from my house in the morning, before the sun rose, and we could walk to the dock. That day it was raining hard, dark clouds painted the sky. Finnicks dad hurried us onto his old small fish boat. I could feel every wave going underneath the helm. As we drove out to sea, Finnicks dad sat in the captains compartment. I sat with my back flush against Finnicks chest, in between his legs, so we wouldn't get thrown off the boat in the raging waters. In a few minutes we were out at his fathers favorite fishing spot. Finnick got the ropes undone and threw the net into the water.

" Doria, grab that rope and pull it to the other side of the boat." Finnick told me. I grabbed the red rope near my feet and quickly dragged it to the other side of the boat. We were right beside a large black rock structure. Examining the rock, it had many different types of urchins and shells. Suddenly I heard a loud bang and I felt my self flying in the wind. I don't remember much after, Darkness mostly. My head hit the rocks as I was flipped off the boat. I was a really good swimmer, I mean I could hold my breath the longest out of anyone in the academy. But under the water on that day, I was drowning. The waves from the storm pounded down on me and blood was rushing from the back of my head. I tried to swim up for a while, as I did this I thought of Finnick and Mags, Hudson and Atlas. But then I stopped swimming and closed my eyes.

Soon, I felt two arms grab around my waist and drag my upwards. Once I got above the water I started to cough out all the water I had inhaled, and touched the back of my bloody head. I opened my eyes to see my savior, my best friend.

" Finnick." I said smiling.

" The tribute for this years Hunger Games is.... Finnick Odiar."

Finnick
Finnick
Finnick

I suddenly snapped out of all my thoughts, my eyes became wide. I quickly turned my head towards the boys. Finnicks mouth hung open momentarily before swallowing his fear. Atlas next to him; held onto his arm. Finnick gave him a curt nod and a fake smile. Hudson was crying, I could see streams of tears falling from his eyes. Finnick though, he looked brave. Something had clicked in his brain, he was playing the capitols game.

As he stepped forward towards the stage, I ran towards him. I couldn't contain myself anymore, I was so scared that I dropped my act.

" Finnick." I screamed. He looked towards me with fear in his eyes. I ran about 5 feet before the peacemakers grabbed both my arms dragging me back to my spot. Finnicks eyes filled with anger, his hands curled up into fists but miraculously he stayed calm. He gave me a smile and mouthed. " It's going to alright." Before walking up on stage.

The peacemakers forcefully put me back into my spot, all the girls around me stared at me as I quickly whipped of my tears. Be brave for Finnick, be brave for Mags. My eyes quickly found their way to Mags, she was already staring at me, a hand over her heart. " I'm sorry." Is what she mouthed to me.

Finnick walked up the stairs and found his way right next to Posey. He was all smiles, waving at the audience. His eyes found mine in the large audience. I tried to give him a smile through my tears.

" Your tributes for the 65th hunger games! Shake hands you too." Finnick broke out eye contact slowly and shook hands with the still crying Claudia before being forcefully escorted inside.

I stood there mouth open. My best friend was going to be sent into an arena with 23 other people, fighting to the death. The same boy who braided my hair everyday before school, the boy that would catch fish but then release them because he felt bad, the same boy who walked me to school every day, the boy who scavenged for seashells, or played tag on the beach, the boy who caught fireflies with me in the summer, the boy who sat with me for hours after my dad died. My best friend.

I felt two hands grab my shoulders shaking me out of my thoughts.

" Eudoria. Eudoria. Cmon snap out of it." Atlas said shaking me. He had very faint tears in his eyes.

" I told him he wouldn't get picked Atlas." I said looking at the ground.

" There was always a chance, Doria, it's nobody's fault."

" Except the capitol." I said with anger.

" Don't say that here. You will get in trouble. I mean it." He said his grip tightening on my arm.

" Okay, I won't." I said worried, Atlas looked into my eyes and let out a deep breath.

" When we go into see Finnick, we need to be strong for him, all of us." Atlas said now placing his free hand on Hudson's shoulder. We both nodded at him slowly.

We walked up the mosey cobblestone stairs into the Justice building. It was white, made of quartz I think, the door was giant and dark brown. The peace keepers slowly opened up the door ushering us inside. Inside was a long hallway, portraits of capitol officials hung in the hall, along with photographs of past victors. Mags picture was the first on the wall. In the photo she had strawberry brown hair, curled, with the seashell clip on the right side of her face, she wasn't smiling.

" You have 5 minutes." The guard said before shoving me into the room. Finnick stood there in front of the giant window. As soon as I saw him I ran into his arms.

" Hey Doria." He said opening his arms for me. I put my arms on his chest as he held me close. I looked up at him.

" You can win Finnick. I know you can."

" I will try."

" Good. Promise me."

" I promise." Finnick said still holding me in his arms.

" Can you promise me something?" Finnick asked somberly. I nodded at him.

" Promise me that if I don't come back, you won't break, okay. You need to keep going. You can do so many things, I don't want you to be sad or break because of me. You need to be strong. Promise me Eudoria." He said tearing up.

" I promise Finnick." I said crying into his chest. We stood there for a while. Taking our time, our last moments together, perhaps forever. Finally the peace keepers slammed open the doors. Grabbing my arms, pulling me away. As I was being pulled out of the room, I gave Finnick a smile through the tears in my eyes. He flashed me a smile and then mouthed three words, I could have swore it was these three words. The last words he said to me before the games were...

I love you.

—————————————————————————

Authors note:

AWWW I love this chapter, Finnick is so baby, so cutie.

Soooooo Finnick loves Eudoria. Interesting......

Words: 1224