Chapter 5

OFF COURSE

OFF COURSE

"Paint your own picture, Enola. Don't be thrown off course by other people. Especially men!"

—Enola Holmes

"How desperate am I?" Fury's words were magically transported into the briefing room by a device they called a 'monitor,' his incredulous tone reflecting how I felt. "You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun.' You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"But how does it—"

"Enola."

"Right, my apologies."

I twiddled my thumbs together distractedly as I watched the scene play out before me, the strange device reminding me uncannily of Dumbledore's pensive. I leaned forward to better listen, my chair squeaking as I did so.

"...It burns you to come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power—unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is."

"Well, you let me know if Real Power wants a magazine or something."

Steve's eyes were glued to the screen until the monitor went dark, his expression unreadable.

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Banner commented, breaking the tense atmosphere with his lighthearted, and rather sarcastic, smile.

"Yes, quite like a fungus—or undesirable pimples."

Steve's mouth twitched upwards before thinning into a straight line, his brows creasing. "Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?"

The blonde warrior—eyes previously glossy and unfocused, snapped back into reality, his muscles flexing as he moved them. "He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

"And your reasoning suggests that there are unknown forces attempting to obtain this tesseract, correct?"

Thor's eyes locked onto me, his mouth curving up into a gentle smile. "Yes."

"How would they know of such a thing?"

"The tesseract is of Asgard. It has not been that way for many ages. My father, Odin, King of Asgard, brought it to earth before even I knew what such an object was."

"Then it stands to reason," I began, "that these 'beings' Loki claims to command, also hold onto ancient knowledge." I mulled over the insinuation of my words, the gears in my head turning furiously round. "Who commands this army?"

"That, I am afraid, I do not know."

"Wait," Steve bid of Thor and I, his mind grappling with too many revelations at once. "An army—from outer space?"