Chapter 1

A GAME AFOOT

A GAME AFOOT

"The game has found its feet again."

—Enola Holmes

Dearest Enola,

I see you have neglected to respond to my last few letters concerning your reassignment. I know our progress with your magical artifact has been lagging, however, this is not an invitation to ignore your brother—and more importantly, the affairs of the ministry. I have been tasked with ensuring your reply. The minister has been hesitant to encourage your exploits as he believes that you risk exposure with your increased involvement with SHIELD. He begs you once again to reconsider his offer. I am inclined to agree with him. While we collaborate with muggles, working on behalf of them is a disaster waiting to happen. Your missions are getting riskier by the day and the more people that discover what you are—the greater danger it poses to the Wizarding World. This owl has orders to peck you unabatedly until you send a response. Drastic measures must be taken to assure your hasty reply. I am sure we will find your response captivating.

Your brother,

Theseus

Prick.

I extracted a feather quill from my desk—dipping it into a bottle of ink before touching the fine point to parchment. My old fashioned ways suited my liking much more than any muggle technology offered to me. I bit my lip as I concentrated on the letter, quill digging into the page as I released my pent up frustrations. Picket peaked out from the folds of my hair, his clawed feet digging into my shoulder as he scanned the hasty scribble.

Dearest Theseus,

Regarding the owl from the minister, I reviewed his offer and have elected to ignore it. My decision was premeditated, and the future depends on my place here—among these muggles. Any effort to berate me into rejoining the ministry will continue to go unanswered. I do appreciate your attempts to unlock the secrets of my pendent, but two years with little to no progress is both excessive and irritating. I hope your next owl shall hold more insight and well-wishes.

Your sister,

Enola

I sealed the letter in an ivory envelope, offering it out to the teetering barn owl perched upon my windowsill. Its eyes bore into me sharply, as if it sensed that I was making its life harder by my stubbornness. Screeching in acknowledgment, it flew off, the stretch of its wings carrying it above the streets of a barely lit Washington DC.

I breathed in a lofty sigh. Two years and absolutely no information yielded about the pendent that Thor had left me with. I was nearly at my breaking point with the never-ending case.