Chapter 8

OWN COMPANY

OWN COMPANY

"I don't need friends. I have my own company."

—Enola Holmes

Nothing could quite describe the atmosphere of the debriefing room as myself, the soldier, and the metal man sat in a dejected silence.

Picket was curled up in my lap, gripping my skirts for extra support, his head hung low in sorrow. While noble to mourn a fallen companion, I could not comprehend the true extent of his grief. In fact, It was quite the strange turn of events given his solitude. I had never seen the two interact, but it was assured that Picket felt Coulson's death deep at heart.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them."

Fury cast a packet of trading cards onto the table, the remnants scattering in front of a despondent Steve. My eyes traced the multitude of cards, all featuring Captain America in his spangly outfit, my stomach churning as the soldier picked one up meticulously. It was covered in blood.

"We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Maybe I had that coming." There was a beat as Fury drifted around the table. "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier."

Picket peaked his head out over the table, his eyes tracing Fury's movements. It appeared that even he understood the significance of the words about to come, whatever they might be.

"There was an idea—Stark and Scamander know this—called the Avengers Initiative." My eyes flickered over to Steve, his eyes boring holes through the table. I knew that despite his feigned aloofness, he was hanging on to every word. "The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them. To fight the battles that we never could." The director's words fueled something within me. A restless spirit begging for release. "Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea." Fury paused, dragging his next words out. "In heroes."

Stark stood abruptly, his eyes glossy and far away. He stalked away, seeking solitude. No one went after him.

"Well, it's an old fashioned notion." Fury shook his head hallowly, his steps carrying him deep inside the command center.

I glanced up at Steve whose eyes were already boring into my own "Did you know him well?" I decided to ask, regretting it a moment later. "I mean, he seemed so fond of you..."

Steve dipped his head in understanding. "No, I didn't know him well." There was an uncomfortable silence broken only by steady breaths. "But I would have liked to."

"I never thought I would say this, but, I think Stark is right." At Steve's questioning glance I clarified. "About SHIELD."

We left it at that.