Chapter 3: Regrouping

Steve did not want to sleep through more of the day, but he could barely stand. He didn't have much choice but to stay where Robin put him. The electrolyte solution had helped in the short term, but it wasn't doing much to keep him going.

"Welcome to home sweet home, until the government tell us we can leave," Robin said after she'd made sure he didn't take a header while changing his shirt. "This is my bed, not that I've had a chance to use it yet, but you're allowed to sit on it too."

He gave her a smile and took up the offer, when she jumped on and patted the spot next to her. It took more effort than he was willing to admit, but he did manage not to just fall into her. He counted that as a win.

Sitting next to Robin on the cot with his back against the wall, he knew he wasn't going to last long, but he was determined to stay awake as long as possible. Will was sitting between Dustin and Mike on a similar cot against the side wall while Lucas was just kind of hovering in the vicinity. Will seemed to be doing a little better than him, but didn't look completely with it.

At least the one thing he had to be thankful for was his head wasn't killing him this time.

"Eat," Joyce said, handing Will and then him large paper bags. "That is doctor's orders."

"Thanks," Steve said, wondering when Joyce had got those doctor's orders, while doing his best to summon up the energy to open the bag.

"Give it here," Robin said with a sigh, taking it from him before he could protest.

She opened it and handed him a can of sofa, before digging around and pulling out a sandwich, a huge bag of trail mix with large chocolate chunks in it, and two oranges.

"No fair, you have chocolate," Robin complained, but more significantly just placed the trail mix in his lap.

"I'll share," he promised before taking several large gulps of the soda.

The flavour of root beer hit his tongue, at which point he realised he hadn't even bothered to check what it was.

"How're you doing, Will," he asked as he decided to go for the sandwich first.

If he had someone else to focus on it was easier than just convincing himself to keep his eyes open.

"Could do with a nap," Will replied and yawned.

"Food first, nap afterwards," Joyce said, hovering close to her youngest.

Steve wasn't paying much attention because the sandwich was covered in clingwrap, and it was really hard to find the edge. Clingwrap was bad enough on a good day, but with his eyes half closed if was nigh on impossible.

"Seriously?" Robin asked, snatching it out of his hands as he failed for at least the sixth time.

"Focusing is hard," he whined at her tone.

"You're pathetic, you know that right?" Robin told him.

"I got dragged into a weird dark place by our psychic supergirl and lost a significant amount of blood via my nose," Steve retorted, "I think I have a right to be a little pathetic."

"I don't think we got dragged," Will said from where he was munching on a handful of trail mix.

"What do you mean, Will?" Joyce asked.

"It wasn't like being forced into something like the mind-flayer," Will said in a thoughtful tone. "I think El unconsciously showed us how to get in and we took it."

"You looked like you were being dragged when you hightailed it out of the mess," Dustin pointed out.

"No, Will's right," Steve found himself agreeing as Robin handed him his sandwich. "That was more knowing something was wrong and wanting to fix it. There was no compulsion."