Chapter 39: Gathering

Steve blinked and let the real-world flow back into his senses. He had managed to convince his dad to let him fix his knee by confessing that every hug was driving him crazy because he could feel his dad's pain. It had been just like fixing Hopper's injuries, which he was determined to finish doing soon, even though his dad's knee injury was much older.

He found himself nudging a few other things as well, since his dad had long since adjusted to compensate to mask the limp he otherwise would have had. If he was honest, it felt ridiculously easy compared to what he had had to do for Nancy and Owens. He still had the unpleasant sensation of blood oozing from his nose as he came back to himself, but Eddie passed him a tissue and that was easily dealt with.

"You're done?" his dad asked, clearly surprised as he opened his eyes.

Steve nodded.

"It was actually about half an hour, Darling," his mom explained.

"Really?" his dad said. "It felt like no time at all."

"Want to test it?" Steve asked.

He could forgive his dad for the slightly dubious expression that flashed across his face, after all, this was all new. The look of utter wonder as his dad stood up, mouth falling open, eyes wide, was more than enough of a reaction to make up for it.

"Oh my god," his dad said moving from one leg to the other repeatedly as if he couldn't quite believe it. "That is, well, miraculous."

Steve wasn't sure what to say to that.

"And there goes your excuse not to help with all the preparations for later this afternoon," his mom stepped in for him, masking the sudden awkwardness and kissing her husband on the cheek.

"I would never," his dad replied, tone playful thanks to his mom.

"Oh, Darling, I love you, but you so would," his mom said. "At least you won't be quite so terrible at the company basketball tournament this year."

"I still say as company president I should be allowed to bring my son in to play for our team," his dad protested. "Most of my guys are over forty and overweight. We never stand a chance, especially against the youngsters in sales."

"You know the rules, David," his mom countered, "no one not on the company payroll, or suddenly we'd have teams full of sons while their fathers sat around and drank beer."

"Steve, tell you mother you could intern for a few months before the tournament," his dad tried to get him on side.

Steve stiffened, because he feared where this conversation would end up. His dad had offered him an internship after Starcourt, but Steve hadn't wanted to leave Hawkins or commit to going that route with his life. He really wasn't cut out for business.

"David, stop pressuring your son because you want to win a game," his mom said, tone light, but eyes very much giving his dad a message, "he has bigger things to think about at the moment."

His dad paused for a second, clearly catching on to his mom's hint.

"It's just so humiliating losing every year," his dad said, sitting down with an over dramatic sigh.

"But your knee's working this year, Dad," Steve decided to ease back into the conversation, "they won't know what hit them, and we can always play a few games while you're here to sharpen your skills."

His dad smiled. Apparently that was exactly the right thing to say.

"Jocks," Eddie said in a derisive tone, that made Steve's mom chortle with laughter.

"Come on," his mom said as her laughter died down, "Steve, you should eat something while Eddie can help me start to set up. David, you can go and freshen up. Sam will be here in an hour to make sure everything is ready, and I want to get a head start."