Chapter 14: Reunion

Steve pulled up outside the motel. All the parking spots were full as families used it as a base while they waited for news on their homes. Thanks to Hopper, they knew Eddie's uncle was staying in room 5. 

"Ready for this?" Steve asked, looking over at Dustin in the passenger seat.

"Yeah," Dustin replied with a confidence Steve could only wish he had. "Let's get Eddie his uncle back."

When put like that, Steve could understand the kid's energy. However, it didn't stop his nerves. This was one situation where his name was a hinderance, not a help.

"Come on then," he said, pushing his door open, "let's do this."

Steve would not let Dustin knock on the door. They had no idea what kind of mood they would find Wayne Munson in, and he was not going to risk Dustin being the focus of the man's ire. Keeping Dustin to the side, Steve rapped on the door several times.

"Yeah?" was the gruff greeting that came from inside as the door was opened about an inch.

"Mr Munson," Steve said in his best polite customer service tone, "please could we come in, we need to talk to you?"

"And who might you be, son?" Eddie's uncle responded.

"My name's Steve Harrington, sir," he replied and watched the other man frown.

"And it's me too, Mr Munson," Dustin piped-up, leaning over so he could be seen, "Dustin Henderson. Please, it's important."

"What's it about?" Wayne asked.

"We'd rather not say out here," Steve said. "Please can we come in. I promise it's nothing bad."

"The opposite," Dustin added.

Wayne was eyeing them both suspiciously but did open the door.

"If this is bullshit, I'm throwing you both out on your asses," Wayne said as he allowed them to come in.

One wall of the room was stacked boxes. Steve couldn't help noticing that a couple of them had marker on them that said, "Eddie's stuff". There was also an acoustic and a very familiar electric guitar stood in the corner.

"Eddie's alive," Dustin blurted out the moment the door was closed.

"What?" Wayne said in a way that made Steve think Eddie's uncle just couldn't process that.

"Eddie is alive, Mr Munson," Steve repeated, carefully and slowly. "We didn't evacuate when everyone else did because we heard some things. We found him."

"My boy's not dead?" Wayne asked as if he couldn't quite believe it.

"No, Sir," Steve replied. "He's at my house. They're going to be announcing today he's no longer a suspect in the murders. He would really like to see you."

"Ed is alive?" Wayne asked again in a way Steve could totally understand.

He'd spent the last couple of days in a very similar fog of disbelief.

"We'd like to take you to him," Steve said with a nod. "It's not safe for him to come to you yet."

Wayne sat down heavily on the bed behind him.

"Mr Munson," Dustin said, immediately moving forward, "are you alright?"

Steve hung back because he could see the tears in the older man's eyes.

"I'm good," Wayne said, "just the shock."

"We're sorry we couldn't tell you before, Mr Munson," Dustin said, hand hovering like he wanted to reach out, but not wanting to overstep. "We didn't know what the police were going to do until today. Hopper told us..."