Chapter 26: Dangerous Times

Steve was doing his very best to stop his mother telling Wayne and by extension Robin, a very embarrassing story about him as a five-year-old when cold fingers ran up his spine. Unfortunately, he recognised the feeling and looked up to meet Will's eyes. 

"Oh crap, I know that look," Dustin said, since Will had been in the middle of a roll, and everyone was looking at him.

Diving under the table, Dustin picked up the bag he had brought with him and pulled out his walkie. As if on cue, it crackled into life before he had a chance to use it.

"Co...d," was all Steve heard the first time because there was a ridiculous amount of interference. "Code..." El's voice repeated. "...de Red."

Steve was out of his seat on the first one.

"We hear you," Dustin replied. "What do you need? Over."

All that came back was static and then a high piercing note.

"That's a jammer," Dustin said, eyes big and round.

"Shit, they need help," Eddie said, looking to Steve. "What do we do?"

"We can't leave until we know where they are and that they're not coming here," he decided quickly. "Lucas, get on the phone, see if you can get a call to Hopper," he instructed.

He shared another look with Will.

"Think we can get through to El?" he asked.

"Worth a try," Will replied.

"Steve, what's going on?" his mom asked, rising from the couch.

He almost swore. In the moment he had completely forgotten there were people in the house who wouldn't immediately get it. Wayne was looking just as confused, as were Eddie's bandmates.

"Bad things, Mom," he said, "but I've got no time to explain now. Please, just trust us."

For a moment she looked as if she might argue, but eventually she nodded. Steve walked quickly around the other side of the table where Will was sitting and placed his hands on Will's shoulders. Their practice paid off as the real world vanished in only a moment and he found himself in the Void, standing next to his younger friend, holding his hand.

"El," they called as one.

Between one blink and the next, El was standing in front of them.

"What happened?" Steve asked without preamble.

"There was someone with a gun, Dad said they were a sniper," El replied, voice quavering.

He wished he could reach out to her, but that could up the connection too much for whoever was with El to pull her out quickly if necessary.

"Dad was going to drive me to visit Max, but Nancy came over," El explained quickly. "She said she thought she was being followed. She walked in front of me just as the window shattered. They shot Nancy, Steve, she is bleeding badly. I had to help her like I helped Max, but I do not know how long it will work."

"Where are you?" he asked.

"We are in the truck," El replied. "Dad told me and Joyce to run and get in and he brought Nancy."

"Bring her to my house," Steve said without hesitation. "We'll be safer together."

"Okay," El said and her eyes went distant for a moment. "I have to go."

"See you soon," Will said.

Steve opened his eyes to find everyone looking at him and Will.

"Close every curtain and blind in the place but stay as far away from the windows as possible," he said, planning quickly and wiping his nose where it was bleeding. "Hop, Joyce, El and Nancy are on their way."