Chapter 34: Stranger

"Joyce," the man said with a small nod of his head, "and it now officially Viktor on my papers. I think your Dr Owens has a sense of humour." 

There was definitely a story there if Owens was involved, but the Russian accent put Steve completely on edge. The way Robin's fingers wound into his, squeezing hard, told him all he needed to know about her reaction as well.

"Everyone," Hopper said with a smile, "this is Dimitri, he helped me get out of the Russian prison. We fought a Demogorgon together."

It was a ridiculous thought, but Steve knew just how that worked to bond people.

"Hello," Dimitri greeted the room. "I was with Murray when your call came through. I have come to offer my assistance."

"Did your wife and son make it into the country okay?" Joyce asked, going over to the pair.

"They did, thank you," Dimitri said. "Anna would very much like to meet you. She was most impressed when I told her of your exploits. And Mikhail is already obsessed with your television. I would worry, but his English is already better than mine because of it."

The way Joyce smiled at the man then, made Steve feel a little better, but he couldn't help still being tense.

"I tried to explain that it's all over and there is nothing to help with," Hopper said, "but he doesn't believe me."

"American, I have seen your Dr Owens' idea of a patrol," Dimitri countered. "I have already walked the perimeter. I owe you my life. It will make me feel better to make sure yours is protected until at least sunrise."

"You plan to patrol all night?" Joyce asked.

Dimitri gave a curt nod.

"Well, at least eat something before you do," she added, dragging the man further into the house.

"I do not wish to intrude," Dimitri started to say.

"Nonsense," Joyce declared and left the man standing in front of everyone else as she hurried off to the kitchen.

"Hello," Dimitri said awkwardly.

Hopper patted him on the back as he walked past and folded into one of the armchairs.

"Hello," Steve's mom said and held out her hand, "Sylvia Harrington."

"A pleasure to meet you, Mrs Harrington," Dimitri said, shaking her hand politely. "I understand this is your house."

"It is," his mom replied, "but friends are always welcome."

There followed a short round of Wayne, Argyle, Jonathan and Eddie introducing themselves, while Robin and Steve remained warily silent. Steve realised he was going to have to speak before it got awkward when Robin suddenly filled the void. It took him a second to realise she had spoken Russian.

Dimitri looked surprised for a few moments, before inclining his head to her and responding in kind. Steve had no idea what the pair said to each other, but Robin's grip on his hand loosened slightly. He knew Robin had taken learning Russian very seriously after Starcourt, her own way of being prepared in case anything like that happened again. She sometimes practiced on him when they were on shift together, even if he didn't have the first idea what she was saying. Apparently, it helped her pronunciation, and he was always happy to act like a clueless sounding board.

Hence, he recognised the sounds, even a few of the words, but it was completely useless.

"You have a very good accent," Dimitri said in English once more.

"Heard quite a few under Starcourt mall," Robin replied.

"Where you 'died'?" Dimitri asked, looking at Hopper.