Chapter 18: Making Plans

Wayne was coming over to visit Eddie again after lunch and, since Wayne was not in the know and it would be unwise for Eddie to be seen anywhere in Hawkins yet, it was agreed the party would meet at the Hopper/Byers house to talk strategy. Steve had promised to fill Eddie in on everything that happened once Wayne was safely off to work. 

With that sorted, Steve was not expecting the phone to ring again.

"Hello, Harrington residence," he answered, because he had been trained well.

At first all he heard was crackling.

"St ... Steve," he finally made out.

"Mom?" he replied, because he thought it was his mother, but the line was so bad he could barely make it out.

Whatever damage the almost-end-of-the-world had done to the phones was still being repaired. Local calls were almost perfect now, but the wider world was still not really happening.

"I can't hear you," he said, as slowly and clearly as he could, hoping that maybe his mother could hear better than he could. "The line is no good."

"... okay?"

"We're all fine here," he guessed at the question, "and the house wasn't touched."

"... damage .... safe ... evac..."

"I'm sorry, Mom," he said, "I don't know what you're saying."

The hissing and crackling was getting worse.

"Ste..."

The line cut off and a dial tone replaced it.

"Dammit," he said.

He really didn't want his parents worrying.

"Problem?" Eddie asked, coming down the stairs from where he had been taking a shower.

"That was my mom, but the line was so bad I could barely make anything out," he revealed. "I just hope she could hear better than I could, because if they decide to come back, it will make things way more complicated."

"They don't know about the Upside Down then?" Eddie said.

"No, not a thing," he said with a shake of his head. "Might be simpler if they did, but that ship sailed years ago and it would put them in danger, so ... yeah."

"It really is part of your core personality, isn't it?" Eddie said, wandering over and taking his hand.

"Um, what?" he asked, because he didn't follow.

"Keeping people safe," Eddie said, leaning in and kissing him on the cheek.

He decided he really was blushing far too easily today as his face heated up.

~*~

Owens had pulled a house out of his little black book with literally no notice, so the Hopper/Byers residence was not a cabin in the woods. It was a decent sized house for the large, blended family. Steve pulled up outside it and was impressed, since it was the first time he had been there. He gave the place a good once over as he climbed out of the car, Dustin dashed from the backseat, and Robin all but fell out of the passenger side.

"You look like a realtor surveying a property," Robin said, coming up beside him.

"Just getting a feel for the place," he replied. "It's nice."

"Do you think the government could magic me a house too?" Robin asked with a laugh. "Then you wouldn't have to sneak in my window when we have a sleepover."

"Not sure even Owens would think that was a valid enough reason, Robs," he said and linked his arm through hers. "And you've got to admit I've gotten better at it."