Part 17

There was a smile on Bela's lips as she concluded her statement, there didn't seem to be sadness in her tone, she appeared happy, and I wanted to scream, saying that what's between us will never end until death takes one of us, I couldn't speak, and I felt a lump in my throat, my eyes wanted to well up with tears, but I had lost my voice, wasn't love supposed to be a pleasant feeling? so why did it feel so painful? isn't this what my star meant when she said that love is a mixture of all emotions?

"Don't think like that Bela, I'm always by your side."

I said weakly, I felt like I was losing my strength, at that moment, I found the answer to another question that had been occupying my thoughts, how would I feel if Bela left? I would feel like I'm slowly being killed, I would feel like knives were piercing my heart with every passing second without her, I would forget how to breathe, and I wouldn't be able to live if she went away.

"Come here, love." I said to Bela, longing to hold her close in the way she loves.

My words shattered the dark whirlpool of thoughts within her, she looked up at me, smiling, as my arms were extended, waiting for her to jump into them, darkness surrounded us, but her laughter illuminated the place, she was incredibly beautiful, my own Bela.

"My berry?"

I wondered as I embraced her, I didn't object at all, I liked it, and it made me feel a tickle in my stomach, significantly easing the pain, her words can both kill and revive me, she is the disease and the cure.

"Yes, dragã?"

Bela answered while closing me in her embrace, I felt a sense of peace, especially when her hands played with my hair, I loved her hands, in reality I loved every part of her, I didn't want to lose this, if she left, I didn't want life to throw me to the other side of love, the painful and ugly side, where only knives kept me company in my solitude.

"Could you leave your strawberry all alone? it'll wilt without you, and you'll regret it." Bela said, a hint of playfulness in her voice as she assured me that what we shared would never fade away.

Yes, love involves compromises, but it stubbornly persists on both sides, no matter what, Bela had read this in many novels, so she wanted to be selfish, how could I tell her that I loved her, and then the next day inform her that it was all over, at the moment when I gathered my courage and my feelings to confess to her a lie I considered amusing to test her reaction?

I'm upset with myself for not accepting that I should love her and she should love me, I'm mad at myself for not being able to blame myself, and I regret not telling her that what we had was more than just a feeling, making it all the more special.

"Don't leave me because I won't let you go, I refuse to let you leave, I never thought I could actually make you fall in love with me." Bela said, her determination shining through her words.

"My sweet strawberry won't wither because she makes decisions, decisions don't make her."

I whispered in her ear, repeating my ambiguous phrase, she felt weakened while I shared the same feeling, it was winter, and the rain began to fall again, Bela buried her body in mine to keep her warm as we returned to the castle together, we slept together in the bed, embracing each other after our decision to live together forever.