Chapter 5 : Meeting (Friday)

Nick's POV:

When I found out on Wednesday that the Greene bloodline had hurt not only Charlie when we were in high school, but my daughter on her very first school trip I honestly had some thoughts that I'm not proud of. My first one being that I was going to find Harry and do exactly what I had done at the cinema when I was 16 years old. I guess I haven't matured much at all.

Lils told me she tried to stick up for herself by telling him to go away and that she would tell the teacher and all that but it didn't work. Now don't get me wrong I know this is bad but I was kind of proud of her for that. It's sort of nice to know that she won't accept being walked all over. Also she is only 5 so emotions can be heightened at that age a lot.

Since Wednesday, she has been a lot happier. I think that Freddie has left her and her friends alone, possibly just got bored. However, as it is such an important issue and Freddie had confirmed that this behaviour was learnt, we still had to go into the school to talk. Quite frankly, I could've done without it. As we had to go after school, I had to leave work early. Luckily, I don't have to go and get Charlie anymore since he leant to drive.

I used to take Charlie everywhere when we were younger as I learnt to drive and got my first car when I was 17. I would drive us to parties, the shops, and each other's houses. Practically anywhere Charlie needed to go, I would take him. It wasn't always necessary but we had this joke that I was Charlie's personal uber driver with benefits. I could tell Charlie found me just driving attractive, but I have no idea why to be honest. I can't say I'm complaining.

Standing at the school gate, Charlie comes up to me looking just as nervous as I feel. Most of the children had come out so we were just standing there waiting to be let inside. Obviously though, the teachers had to let the other students go. Knocking from the window which was, I assumed her classroom, (Charlie usually does school stuff, I just come on important days) was Lil. Then a teacher approached us.

"You must be Nick and Charlie Nelson-Spring? Lilly's parents?"

"Yeah that's us" wobbling as I spoke, I grabbed Charlie's hand.

"Would you like to follow me?"

We were taken to a small room and told to sit at one side of a large table. Charlie and I left a spot in the middle of us for Lil, just to make sure she wouldn't end up sitting next to Freddie. A while later, Lilly was brought into us, she didn't look half as nervous as us. Then, Freddie followed, looking more nervous than any of us. Hopefully, he knows what he's done wrong. Strolling in late was Harry Greene and Mrs Green, or so I assume. The teacher places a bunch of information for us all to sign before going through it all.

"So," she starters "this is a big deal, especially since Freddie stated its learned behaviour"

Harry slumped down in his seat, obviously not taking this seriously at all. As if he ever took anything seriously.

"I can assure you Miss Genkins, there is none of this behaviour in my house." Harry's wife looked mortified.

"Daddy said it to me once though?" Freddie looked so confused. We all just sat there in shock at the fact that he had just ratted out his own dad.

"When was this?" the teacher said, taking notes down on her clipboard.

"Daddy said he knew two guys in high school, he said he was friends with one on instagram still and that he saw they did something on a date or something?" Charlie cut him off,

"Wait, Harry still follows you Nick? Doesn't he? Did he mean...us?" He directed this towards Harry.

"Yeah, mate I saw that post last week, I still follow you because we were okay at the end of high school, yeah?" he sounded sort of shocked that me and Charlie didn't believe him and raised an eyebrow.

"Can you say what your dad said next, Freddie?" the teacher asked.

"He said it was weird"

"Is that it?" the pen scratched the paper as she scrawled down his answer

"I think so"

"Oh mate," Harry turned to Freddie, who was sitting by him, "I didn't mean they were weird, I had scrolled to another photo of a chocolate pizza. Now they are weird!"

Don't get me wrong, I loved that Harry didn't mean to teach his child homophobia was okay, but part of me really wanted to see Harry finally have some form of consequence.

"I think that sums it up then" the teacher looks up from her paper, seeing she filled in all of the boxes, "as I am sure we are all aware, if anything else is said then there will be dire consequences such as exclusion for Freddie".

"Thank you, Miss," Charlie says standing, ready to go.

Lilly follows him out of the door and we just flop into the car. Charlie breathes out,

"That was a waste of time" he's laughing but I can tell he doesn't find it funny.

"He did mean it though" Lil said this so quietly, almost to herself as if no one should've heard.

"I know, Lil" pulling out of the car park I made the executive decision that a surprise McDonalds trip was very much needed.

"They always get away with it," Charlie spat, "they always get away with it"

956 words x