Chapter 6: Frayed- 3x5

En route to a cross-country meet, Scott and his friends flash back to the events of a fatal preemptive strike against the Alphas while Chloe tries to protect everyone she loves.

Third Person POV

~Flashback- McCall House, 7 days earlier~

"So what happened?" Scott asks as Isaac sits on the edge of his bed and Chloe sits in the chair in the corner.

Isaac sighs, "Derek kicked me out... and I don't really know why." He mumbles.

Chloe leans forward, resting her arms on her knees, keeping the pressure off her back, "You didn't do anything wrong, Isaac. I hope you know that. Derek shouldn't have done it that way." She sighs.

Scott nods, not needing any more information. "Well, you're more than welcome to stay here." He tells Isaac before turning to Chloe, "What about you?"

Chloe shakes her head, "I'll sleep in the car... wouldn't be my first night in the backseat." Slowly getting up to leave.

Before Chloe can take her first step to leave and her mind slips into a vision; she's standing in the Loft and on the bed— the bed she and Derek share— is Jennifer with him. He's injured and she kisses him... he's not even trying to pull away.

Out of nowhere she hears Isaac's voice, "—Chloe! Chloe, come on... come back!" He says, his voice echoing in her mind. The green clears from her eyes and she blinks, not needing to see the rest of what'll happen to the man she loves and she sees both Betas kneeling in front of her.

"Are you okay?" Scott asks, worriedly.

She blinks a few more times slowly realizing that she's still in Scott's room, a few tears running down her cheeks. "I have to go." She tells them quickly, pushing past them as she heads to the door.

Isaac follows her worriedly, "Where are you going?" He mumbles nervously.

She stops, biting her lip knowing that he won't truly understand, "I have to go back to the Loft." She mumbles.

Isaac's eyes widened in shock, "You're going back to him?!" He asks painfully.

She shakes her head, "I'm not going back to him. I'm going back to protect him." She corrects him.

Scott takes a few steps closer, "He's an Alpha, he can protect himself." He argues, not understanding.

Images of the vision flash through her mind, "Not from this." She whispers quietly, running down the steps and rushing to the car, not caring about the rain, "Please don't let him go through this again..." She pleads to the universe as she speeds down the wet roads to the Loft. "Please."

~End of Flashback~

~Flashback- Derek's Loft, 7 days earlier~

Getting to the building she parks the car and runs inside, slowly and quietly sliding the metal door open worried she'll wake him or Cora. Only when she turns around to go sleep on the couch she's met with Derek standing a few feet away from her with tears in his eyes and she can tell he's been crying for a while, "You came back...?" He breathes out quietly, slowly stepping towards her, "Baby, I'm—"

She shakes her head, walking past him as he tries to walk up to her, "I didn't come back for us." She sighs, slowly turning to face him.

"So why are you here then?" He asks, watching her closely as she takes her leather jacket— the one she stole from him— off and tosses it on the couch.