Washed Up

As soon as he heard the news Tsukishima was flying out of the school.

He would worry about all of the issues regarding the call home for skipping later.

He was pissed- no- fuming. Why of all people did he have to find out from HINATA.

A car accident, no further info given. Only that the boy he cared so much for was in a car accident on the way to school and had to leave by ambulance.

He was also mad at himself looking back on this morning and the text he had sent him. You both always met up outside of the volleyball gym before classes, but today he was left alone- of course he was, (y/n) was in the ER.

But Kei didn't know that, and in his frustration sent a text he now regrets;

K. Tsukishima 7:48 am
If you can't bother to give me a heads up that you won't be here, don't expect to see me at lunch.

He knew it was mean, and he almost regretted it when he sent it, but it was hella cold outside and not being able to see the tall swimmer in the morning turned his day sour- which he would never admit.

But now he does regret it. Especially since he has no idea what condition his boyfriend is in. Rushing into the subway train he let all of the worst possibilities come to mind.

'What if he has brain trauma'

'What if he's paralyzed'

'What if something has to be amputated'

'What if he's...'

He barely missed his stop, but once he collected himself he was sprinting again. Dirty looks and nasty words were thrown at him when he pushed through people, but he didn't care.

And soon he was at the emergency room, panting at the reception desk. The exhausted nurse working the desk looked up at him with concern.

"Do you need help sir?"

He shook his head wildly

"No- *pant* not me.... (full name) *pant* he's here right?"

With a few clicks on her computer to check her system she was able to find who he was talking about.

"Yes he's here, what's your relationship to Mr. (L/N)?"

Tsukishima truly didn't know what to say to get himself back there. He could say he was a friend, but would that be deemed acceptable and be allowed to (Y/n)'s room? Saying he was his boyfriend would have a higher chance, but what if he didn't want people to know? What if family is here and he's not out to them?

"Sir?"

Tsukishima gulped.

"Im his friend"

She raised an eyebrow

"Just a friend?"

"NO... Boyfriend. I'm his boyfriend. I need to see him."

She stood up from her chair and gave him a soft look.

"I'll show you to his room."

~~~~~

He wasn't ready for what he walked into when they finally reached your room.

The room was empty of all people but (y/n). The lack of gifts, cars, balloons, or belongings showed the likelihood of anyone having come to visit slim.

And then there was his boyfriend, both long, perfect legs of his wrapped in casts. One reaching all of the way from his foot to the top of his thigh and the other from his foot to his calf. The latter also had a knee brace.

(Y/n) beautiful face was littered with cuts and bruises, but worse than that were tears.

The tall boy was sat on his bed with his face in his hands and sobbing, not yet realizing Tsukki was there.

Tsukishima's heart panged, but he didn't even know what he was crying about.

That wasn't crying out of pain. That was the sound of heartbreak. Kei didn't understand.
The swimming season is over? Surely he would have recovery time for the next one, right?

"(y/n)"

The ever-easily startled boy jumped and whipped around to face the doorway.

"Tsuki."

It was almost impossible to hear him say it. His voice was hoarse and although he was now desperately trying to wipe his tears, new ones would replace them almost immediately.

Tsukishima moved to sit down and removed one of his hands from his face to hold it.

"Talk to me"

...

Silence stretched for almost 5 minutes. The blonde looked into the swimmer's eyes that were glazed over. (y/n) was staring into space and Tsukishima gave him time.

"They said..."

He squeezed his hand in reassurance

"I'll never-"

(Y/n) cut himself off with a sob. The little bit of composure he had left was crumbling around him. Kei watched him take two deep breaths.

"....I'll never swim again Tsuki."

And with that the tsunami hit. (y/n) broke and crumbled into his boyfriend's ready arms.

Tsukishima held him tight while his tears soaked his shirt.

The realization of what he just said was slowly sinking in and he felt himself almost crying with (y/n). Tsukishima knew how important swimming was to him, how GOOD he was at swimming. This can't be the end.

Swimming gets (y/n) out of his shell more than Tsukishima could ever hope to. It was his passion. He could never imagine having to give up volleyball.

Tsukishima got himself onto the bed and laid back still holding (y/n). He brushed a strand of his hair out of his face and just let him cry. He leaned to whisper in his ear

"I'm so sorry, I'll be here through it all-"

Kei squeezed his boyfriend tighter

"I love you (y/n)"

...

"I love you Tsuki"

~~~

Tsukishima stayed with (y/n) until he fell asleep in his arms, and then until the sun went down, and finally when he got a call from his parents screaming at him.

He halfway explained the situation to the family, and though they understood, they also wanted him home. They didn't understand why Tsukishima would care this much about just a guy in his class.

So on his way out Tsukishima left a note saying he will be back the next day, and hurriedly erased his text message from (y/n)'s phone from the day before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: yuri on ice fanfic anyone?

Word count: 1037