A bit of rest can't hurt, right? (Chapter 14)

When Neuvillette's tail finally let go of Wriothesley, they stayed close and read the book together. He moved away a bit so he wasn't sitting on the Iudex, but they remained close. None of them said anything, both because the situation was awkward and because neither of them wanted to move. 

When they finished reading the book, 3 hours had passed by, and it was getting dark out. They looked at each other, and Neuvillette smiled softly at Wriothesley. He couldn't believe the Iudex just smiled at him. GOD. He shouldn't be allowed to do that. Wriothesley just froze and stared mesmerized at Neuvillette, who reached over and put the book on a table before bringing Wriothesley into a hug.

Neuvillette couldn't believe he was doing this. He hugged the Duke. The man who quite literally ruined his reputation caused chaos and gave him even more work. Why hug him? He should be thrown in arrest and should face trial. But for some reason, he didn't want that. He didn't want to see Wriothesley arrested. He wanted to bend the law for him. What was he thinking? He was the Iudex! He couldn't just bend the law for anyone.

But he couldn't stop himself from bringing the other man closer. He couldn't stop himself from enjoying the closeness. 

He wrapped his arms around Wriothesley, felt him slowly relax too, and felt him wrap his arms around him too. He liked it. He liked having Wriothesley this close. He liked feeling his arms hold him like he was holding him. He was happy Wriothesley had apologized. He was happy he had stayed. Not a lot of people would stay and comfort him, maybe Sedene would, but not really anyone else. He usually wouldn't allow anyone to see him like this either.  

As the sun went down, the light in the room dimmed. They pulled apart and looked at each other.

"Wriothesley..?"

"Yes?"

"It's quite late.."

"Are you kicking me out, dear Iudex?" 

He joked, fully expecting Neuvillette to say yes and tell him to leave. But no, he was wrong.

"No... It's dark, and it wouldn't be safe to walk home now. I was wondering if you'd like to spend the night here?"

He what? Did he seriously just suggest that? Wriothesley was sure he had misheard something, but when Neuvillette stayed silent, waiting for a response, Wriothesley realized he meant it. He, unfortunately... Fortunately? wasn't hearing things. He wasn't sure if he thought it was fortunate or unfortunate. 

"I-... I wouldn't want to be a burden."

"You won't."

"Alright then.. Thank you."

Neuvillette led Wriothesley to a spare room upstairs, debating in his head whether or not this was a wise idea. Probably not. But he couldn't tell Wriothesley to leave now, so he showed him into the room, said goodnight, and quickly left. He went to his own room, preparing to go to sleep. Since he's a dragon, he didn't really need to sleep, but he didn't want to accidentally wake Wriothesley by walking around doing work. Besides, it was good to get some rest sometimes.

When he laid down on his bed, he felt the exhaustion take over him, threatening to consume him if he closed his eyes. He tried to stay awake, only to let his body rest, but his eyelids slowly fell shut, his eyes closed, and he fell asleep. He knew he had a trial early tomorrow. He knew he had to get up early, but he had no alarm and no way of waking up now he had already fallen asleep.

When Wriothesley woke up the next morning, it was still very early, but the house was silent. Shouldn't Neuvillette already be up? Maybe he already left? But when he got downstairs, he saw Neuvillette's boots by the door, so he didn't leave. He hesitated, thinking it probably wasn't wise to wake a dragon, but he decided it would be better to at least check on him.

He made his way to Neuvillette's room, standing in front of the door. He knocked on the door, but there was no answer. He slowly reached for the doorknob and opened the door. He looked inside and saw Neuvillette lying in bed, luckily dressed, but also sound asleep. He wasn't sure what he would have done if Neuvillette had been naked, so he just thanked Celestia for Neuvillette's modesty. 

He made his way inside the room, and in his moment of bravery, he decided to wake him. He quietly walked over to the bed and reached out to gently tap his shoulder. But he didn't even get to touch him before his tail snatched him off his feet and threw him onto the bed. He tried to get away but was suddenly pinned down by Neuvillette. He looked up at the Iudex shocked.

When Neuvillette realized it was just Wriothesley, and he wasn't being attacked, he quickly got off of him and apologized. He looked at the Duke, who was staring at him in pure shock. Wriothesley sat up and also apologized.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have gone in here."

"It's alright, I'm sorry for... Uh... That"

He looked away awkwardly, before turning back to Wriothesley and asking,

 "Why did you come in here anyways?"

"I noticed you weren't awake yet, and I thought maybe you had work to get to, so I would see if you were aware of the time."

Neuvillette looked at a clock and cursed himself for falling asleep. He was about to run late. He quickly got up and began changing clothes, forgetting everything about Wriothesley whose face turned deeply red before he quickly looked away from the Iudex, luckily before he could see anything.

Neuvillette changed in a matter of seconds and rushed out of the room. Wriothesley followed after, trying to help him.

They both left the house quickly, and Neuvillette thanked Wriothesley before disappearing in thin air. If Wriothesley didn't know Neuvillette could teleport, that would have scared the shit out of him. 

He looked around the area before beginning to walk back to Meropide, noticing it hadn't rained at all.

Thanks for 4,3 k reads and all the comments. Some of y'all are funny, and i really enjoy reading the comments. Especially that one person who really can't spell. You know who you are, thank you.