A bit of fresh air (Chapter 21)

Much to Neuvillette's frustration, there were a lot of things he did not have the strength to do anymore. And to make matters worse, Wriothesley was running around like a lost puppy, trying to help him and take care of him. Although he was mostly just in the way. It was nice though, seeing the duke run around like that, but it was not worth the price. He would give anything to be able to cut his own food again, but he couldn't move his fingers. So cutting food into pieces had become Wriothesley's job. It was equally humiliating for both of them, both to need service and to provide it. And he wasn't even exaggerating. Wriothesley was like a puppy. He stayed close to him constantly, clinging to his side like he had no shame. 

The room was bathed in the soft glow of morning light, filtering through the curtains drawn. The sun hit Wriothesley right in the eyes, but he didn't move. He stood still and looked at Neuvillette who sat on the bed, barely moving. He looked exhausted.

"Good morning, Neuvillette," he said quietly.

"Morning," he replied, his voice carrying the weight of unspoken despair. Wriothesley sat beside him, his touch light as a feather as he adjusted the pillows behind his back, offering him a semblance of comfort.

"Would you like to go on a walk today?" He suggested, his tone encouraging. He handed him a cup of water, Wriothesley's eyes never leaving his.

Neuvillette hesitated before nodding. He knew it was best to get outside a little and that it was better to just accept Wriothesley's desperate attempts to help so he wouldn't have to deal with it later.

Throughout the day, Wriothesley remained by Neuvilette's side, offering assistance without ever imposing. He prepared meals that catered to his needs, patiently coaxing him to eat a few bites at a time. Neuvillette would hate this, and he would push Wriothesley away, but how could he when he could clearly see the other was trying so hard to be there for him and make it up to him again? Maybe he should give him another chance. He wouldn't just forgive and forget, no way. But perhaps there was still room for a second chance.

Even though Neuvillette was hesitant at first, in moments of his overwhelming despair, Wriothesley became his confidant, his safe space. He couldn't bring himself to tell him exactly how he felt, how much it hurt. But having him beside him, was like he was being heard, despite the silence. And he could feel there was no judgment.

As the day progressed, Wriothesley managed to get Neuvillette out on their promised walk. Naturally, he couldn't walk very far, but they did manage to get to the top of a hill, where they could overlook most of Fontaine.

"You don't need to thank me," Wriothesley replied.

"Taking care of each other is what makes us human. We all need someone to lean on, someone to remind us that we're not alone."

"But I am not human."

"No, but you're still allowed to rely on others. And I am human, so naturally, I will take care of you."

They began walking back, none of them saying a word. Wriothesley's words were still lingering in the air, and Neuvillette couldn't stop thinking about them. Sure, he was the hydro sovereign and should be able to take care of himself, but was he too allowed to rely on someone else? Should he? It was tempting, really. He didn't like being a burden, but Wriothelsey made him feel as though he was not in the way. He made him feel like he was wanted. But then again, Wriothesley was probably consumed with guilt, and it was a possibility that he only did all this out of politeness and guilt.

When they got back, Wriothelsey went into the kitchen to cook dinner. He still hadn't figured Neuvillette's preferences out yet, as it seemed the Iudex only really loved water. Today he decided to try and make Boeuf Bourguignon, despite it having been ages since he last had made it. It's a pretty easy dish to make, and it turned out just fine. Hopefully, Neuvillette would think so too.

It had already gotten darker outside as the sun was setting. Their walk had taken longer than expected, so they would be eating late. Wriothesley put the Boeuf Bourguignon on the table, and Neuvillette, refusing to let him do all the work, went to set the table. They sat down to eat, both silent and lost in thought. Wriothesley couldn't help but notice how much better Neuvillette looked now. He had always been gorgeous, but there was something about seeing him relaxed. Without the stress and exhaustion on his face, he looked much more peaceful.

"You look good," Wriothesley said without thinking, simply voicing his thoughts.

"Pardon me?"

He panicked internally as he realized what he had said. Quickly, he tried to come up with an excuse.

"Uh, I just mean you look better, you know? You look less exhausted?"

"Oh, yes... I do feel less tired."

"Glad to hear it!" Wriothesley said, in a little more high-pitched voice than he would have liked. Seemingly Neuvillette noticed this too, as he raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"Excuse me. I think I have something stuck in my throat." Wriothesley mumbled while standing up and fleeing to the bathroom. 

He didn't understand what was wrong with him. Why had he gotten so nervous? He was used to being around Neuvillette by now, and he was also used to Chief Justice's beauty. Why would that even matter either way? Sure Neuvillette was beautiful, and yeah, he would admit any day, he admired him, but that didn't mean anything. Wriothesley sighed and sat down with his back against the door. Why do things have to be so frustrating? Why does Neuvillette have to be so frustratingly beautiful? It didn't matter at all, he wasn't interested in men either way. Actually, he shouldn't even be thinking that. Why was he thinking that? 

As he sat with his back to the door, he felt someone grab the handle and open the door, making him fall backward and land on the person's feet. He looked right up at Furina, who looked rather unamused.