Blood stained streets (Chapter 28)

Wriothesley's expression hardened as he recognized the woman standing before them. Memories flooded back, a mix of fear and anger simmering beneath his controlled exterior. He knew her from a dark chapter of his past, a time marked by cruelty and betrayal. "You," he uttered, his voice tinged with restrained fury. "What are you doing here?" 

The woman's gaze locked onto Wriothesley, her eyes devoid of remorse or compassion. "I'm just playing my part in this little game," she sneered, her tone laced with the same indifference Wriothesley recognized from all those years ago.

 Neuvillette observed the tension between them, his instincts warning him of the significance of this encounter. "What game?" Neuvillette asked his voice firm but tinged with caution. Wriothesley turned slightly towards Neuvillette, his eyes never leaving the woman. 

"She's a part of the group that kidnapped and sold children, including me, when I was younger." 

The woman scoffed. "Oh, please. That's in the past. I have more pressing matters to attend to now." 

"Like what? Hunting down and killing the children? Is that why you tried to assassinate me?" Wriothesley asked.

 The woman's facade wavered momentarily, a flicker of irritation crossing her face before she composed herself. "Obviously not."

 "Why are you here, then?" Neuvillette pressed, his gaze unwavering. 

The woman's demeanor shifted, a smirk playing on her lips. "Isn't it obvious? We're here to witness the show. Ciel is quite theatrical. You'll soon understand." 

Neuvillette looked over to see Wriothesley's face drop. "You're not Ciel?" He asked, but only received a scoff from the woman. 

"Then who is? Tell us, and I might stop myself from beating the shit out of you." Wriothesley said, glaring at her with every intent of killing her. 

The woman merely laughed, a chilling sound that echoed in the silent night. "You're too late, dear Duke. The show has already begun. You'll find out soon enough." 

Before Neuvillette or Wriothesley could react, the woman vanished into the darkness, leaving behind an unsettling silence. "We need to move," Neuvillette said, his voice firm, his mind racing to piece together their next move. As they navigated the dimly lit streets of Fontaine, a sense of foreboding lingered. 

The city felt like a stage set for a horrifying spectacle, and they were unwitting participants. At the heart of Fontaine, where the grim scenes of the murders had unfolded, a faint sound reverberated an eerie melody that cut through the silence. Neuvillette and Wriothesley exchanged a knowing glance and followed the haunting tune, their steps quickening as they approached the source. 

The streets had long been cleared, and the only thing left was silence and that eerie sound. They got to Vasari Passage, just to see the area covered in bodies. Looking around, Neuvillette wasn't even sure if all of them were dead. In the middle of it all stood a person. In the dim light, they couldn't see who it was or even make out a bit of their face. 

"Behold my masterpiece," the person announced, their voice filled with twisted pride. The horror of the sight froze Neuvillette's blood. These were people of Fontaine he had failed to protect. Neuvillette's heart sank as he surveyed the gruesome scene, a mixture of shock and guilt weighing heavily upon him. 

These innocent lives, lost in such a macabre display, were his responsibility. Wriothesley sensed Neuvillette was far from okay and quickly grabbed his hand in an attempt to reassure him. He leaned over and whispered, "It's not your fault. We will solve this."

 The figure in the center of the chaos seemed to revel in their twisted creation, their voice echoing with a disturbing sense of satisfaction. Neuvillette's mind raced, searching for a way to confront this madness and bring justice to the fallen. 

"We need to stop this," Neuvillette urged, his voice shaky even though he was fighting to keep his composure. 

Wriothesley stepped forward, his gaze unwavering. "Tell us, who orchestrated this? Who are you?" A low, sinister chuckle filled the air.

 "You seek answers, yet you fail to see the grand design unfolding before you." The figure turned slightly, a sliver of moonlight revealing a glimpse of their face shrouded in darkness. 

"You speak of innocence, yet you both carry the stain of your own past." Wriothesley tensed at the implication, his jaw clenched with barely contained rage. 

"You can't possibly compare my crimes to this. And enough of those stupid riddles. Just speak like a normal person." The person laughed. 

"But the past always finds a way to intertwine with the present. You, Duke Wriothesley, with the murder of your parents. And you, Neuvillette, burdened by the weight of your failures. Why do you choose to hide behind an archon, when you could take the power for yourself, hydro dragon?" 

"You know nothing of what you speak," Neuvillette retorted, trying to maintain his facade of composure, though the turmoil within him was palpable. Wriothesley stepped closer, his gaze fixed on the obscured figure.

 "Enough games. Who are you, and what is your connection to all of this?"

 The mention of his identity as the Hydro Dragon left Neuvillette exposed in ways he hadn't anticipated. The figure's knowledge posed a threat not just to him but to the balance he and Furina had tried to maintain in Fontaine. Before they could stop him, the person ran off through the streets of Fontaine. Neuvillette told Wriothesley to run after him while he contacted the Phantom to clean up the massacre in Vasari Passage. Wriothesley quickly ran after the man while Neuvillette sealed the area so no one would see the scene and quickly teleported to Palais Memoria to inform Furina and Marechaussee Phantom. He tried to find someone, but most people were out taking care of the previous murders and securing Fontaine, so Neuvillette had to go to inform Sedene first, telling her to pass on the message to more of the Marechaussee Phantom, while he went to Furina. 

I honestly didn't write nor achieve any of the things I was supposed to in this chapter.