𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 ~𝟴~

DANI POV

"Okay, I know that you're all very busy and have lives and other patients, but when I say i'm begging you, I mean i'm begging you to make us your priority." Tom looks around at all the doctors in the room.

"Let me give you some backstory on us." Tom sat up, I leaned up with him, noticing all of them paying real attention to Tom, I appreciated it.

"Dani and I, both got diagnosed with inoperable tumors on our lungs, in March and April of 2002, we met in a support group, and we've been together ever since." He smiles, squeezing my hand tightly.

"I mean it was never ideal, our relationship, but we make it work. I know we may just be some random kids to you, but the only thing we have is each other." Tom follows up.

"And our moms but that's not the point." I laughed a little. "My mom and dad split up when I was ten, I haven't seen him since and Dani's dad-" He paused looking to me, for permission to speak, I nodded.

"Dani's dad left after she was diagnosed, but he visits once or twice a year." Tom explains.

"But anyways, i'm rambling... let me get to my point." He breathed out, I bit my bottom lip looking down. I knew there was no hope, but he clung onto it.

"I'm sure a handful of you are in meaningful adult relationships, so to you, Dani and me, we may not seem like we fit. We may seem like children to you." 

"But the truth is, we're not, we've grown up much faster then any kid i've known before. We just want to live whatever life we have left together." He sniffles.

"Dani's tumor progressed, leaving her just under a months time with me." His voice breaks slightly, I lean my body against Tom's, not speaking.

I knew he needed to have his moment, he's been practicing all day on what to say.

"Meanwhile I still have around five months, in those months without Dani, there's a possibility of getting a transplant, but I won't take it if she's not here." Tom shakes his head.

"I need a plan, we need to come up with a plan. For us to at least get to be with each other in these last five months, or I need you to help me die, quicker." Tom nods, I suddenly whip my head in his direction.

"You're not doing that Tom, you're not dying quicker." I disagree. "Then we best come up with a plan." He replies.

"You say your lungs are stronger then hers?" A doctor jumps in. "Essentially, yes." Tom responds. "What if we give her your lungs." He suggests.

Everyone furrowed their brows at him, as if he was crazy. "Okay, all we really need is one set of new lungs, for now..." He adds on, hoping we'd understand.

"I'm still not following?" I laugh a little.

"If we move him up a couple spots on the transplant list, we could get a new set of lungs, we give you the lungs, and we give you his old ones... we could resect some of the tumor as well, giving you more time to get a transplant as well." He began pointing to us.

"You want me to give my girlfriend hand me down lungs?" Tom scoffs.

"It's your best shot." The doctor leans back in his chair. "Would the medical board even approve of this? It's never been done, hand me down lungs?" Another doctor jumps in.

"Shut the fuck up." Tom hisses at her.

"The medical board doesn't need to know everything." He waves her off, walking up to Tom and I.

"Hi, i'm Dr. Straus, and I think I just may be the one to save both your lives." He smirks, putting his hand out for us to shake, Tom looks his hand up and down.

"How can I trust you?" Tom asks.

"I'm not like most doctors I.... how do you say? Like to break the rules, I won't back down, until I know for sure it's really over." He responds.

"Dr. Straus, you can't do this without permission, i'll report you." She stands up, threatening him.

"You can do whatever you care to do, i'm simply trying to save them?" He smiles big, placing a hand on Tom's shoulder. "Is it our best option?" I ask.

"As of now yes." Dr. Straus nods. 

"What are the risks?" Tom follows up. "Well.. transplants don't always work out, you could be the perfect match and your body would still reject it."

"What's the survival rate?" I question.

"90% give or take, which the odds are in your favor. May I remind you that around new years and Christmas is when black ice starts to form, do you know what that means?" He chuckles.

Tom and I both shake our heads no. "It means transplant palooza, it's the best time of year to need a transplant." He explains to us.

"Can we think on it? We can let you know by the end of the day." Tom smiles, he nods and exits. All the doctors start to exit quickly behind him.

"I want to do it." I say, immediately. "I know me too." Tom agrees. "Tom we could live." My lips curved into a smile. "I've never imagined a life together it's.. odd." He responds, I lean my head back.

I was already imagining a life for us, together.