Chapter Four

AJ

When Ansley slammed the door, I jumped. I stood on her porch for a couple minutes, hoping that she would open the door and talk to me. She didn't. Man, I really messed up. I want to apologize but I'm not really good at that. I walked back to my house and saw that my stepdad was pulling into the driveway.

I went inside and snuck into my room hoping he didn't see him. Unfortunately, he did. I was sitting on my bed when he barged into my room. I clenched my fits in anger.

"What are you doing in my room?" I asked.

"You're just going to walk right past me and not acknowledge me?!" He yelled.

I could hear my baby sister crying in the other room. Great, he woke her up. I got up and as I was walking towards the door, he got in front of it. Asshole.

"Would you please move so I can go check on my sister?" I crossed my arms and stood in front of him.

"You're a worthless piece of crap." He gritted his teeth and walked out.

My mom walked right past my room and I looked at her. I was pleading with my eyes to help me. She just ignored me and went inside my sister's room and closed the door.

My mom always keeps quiet because she's so afraid of what he would do to her if she stood up to him. She just goes along with it, just letting him yell and belittle, and make me feel like crap. Never protecting me. I'll never treat my future wife and kids that way ever. 

I wish my dad was still alive.

Forget this. I grabbed my bag, went back outside and started up my bike. I got on it and just rode. I went to my spot in the woods. No one really knows about this place except for one of my close friends Jake. To my surprise, when I got there he was sitting on the bench.

"Hey man." Jake said.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were hanging out with your girlfriend?"

"She broke up with me. She said that I'm just not what she wants anymore. I'm pretty sure she was cheating on me too." He lowered his head in misery.

"Shit man." I pulled some weed out from my bag and offered him some.

"Nah. I'm good. You gotta stop smoking that stuff, man."

"You're one to talk! You still smoke two packs of cigarettes a day!" I laughed.

"It's my way of coping with the world and everything that's going on." Pain pierced his voice.

I scooted closer to him and patted him on the back. "I'm so sorry. Is there anything I could do to help?"

He shook his head. "No. It's not your fault I choose crappy girls to date. You even told me something about her that seemed sketchy when you first met her but I didn't listen." He got out a cigarette and lit it up.

"Well, love does blind you. You already know you're a brother to me." I said. "You can always come over anytime  if you want to hang out or if you need to just talk."

"I'll come over when your stepdad isn't there. He gives me some bad vibes. No offense."

"None taken. I feel the same way. Really wish I could just escape it all." I stared at the trees.

"What is his deal anyway? He's a complete jerk. Makes me want to punch him every time I see his face."

I shook my head. "Who knows."

We both laughed and then Jake turned serious. "I miss your dad so much, man. He was the greatest."

I was trying so hard not to cry. I closed my eyes and then looked up at the clouds. 

"I agree. I miss him too..."

Jake changed the subject. "So what have you been up to these days?"

I immediately thought about Ansley and then I looked at Jake. I knew I could trust him, so I ended up telling him everything about her; the way she smiled, her sweet, calm, pure voice, how nervous and shy she would get around me, her beautiful glistening dark skin and her dark brown eyes, her perfect body, her incredible personality, EVERYTHING about her.

I know we just collided into each other today, literally. But I was falling for her so fast. It almost hurt my heart to think about her so much.

"Holy crap! Man!" Jake said.

"I know..." I said.

"I've been friends with you for years and you've never talked about a girl like this! Not even your ex-girlfriend. You're so whipped! Do you think she likes you?"

"Ugh. I know. She's just so amazing. I've never met a girl like her. I don't know if she likes me, I hope she does. Right now, she's kind of mad at me."

"Oh. What happened?" Jake asked.

I explained what happened to him and he took a deep breath.

"Ooof! That's rough."

"Yeah. I deeply regret even bringing it up. She told me to get out of her house and she hasn't spoken to me at all. I know I need to apologize but I'm terrible at saying sorry to people." I sighed.

"Hmmmm" Jake scratched his head. "You should show up at her work and tell her."

"I don't know where she even works! Wouldn't that be kind of stalker-ish and creepy?"

He exhaled a cloud of smoke. "She works at the diner downtown. I've seen her there a couple times. I'll even accompany you! Now, you need to go and get your woman before another man does!"

I laughed. "Thanks, man." I pounded his fist.

We both got on our bikes and headed downtown.