Chapter Ten

Ansley

I go into the drive thru at Starbucks and get my pink drink and some chocolate croissants. After I got my guilty pleasure, I drove home and parked my car in the driveway. As I'm getting out of my car, I saw a little girl outside by herself. I walked over to AJ's house and I realized that was his sister. I looked around and didn't see AJ's motorcycle. He would never leave his sister alone by herself outside. I picked her up and knocked on the door. AJ's mom, Lauren Baker, opened the door.

"Hi. I'm Ansley. Your neighbor. I'm also friends with your son, AJ. I saw your daughter playing outside by herself and it got me worried." I handed her back to her mom.

AJ's mom smiles. "I was just about to come get her. My husband and I were having a little argument and I didn't want her to hear that. Thank you for bringing her to me."

I looked at his mom. She had bruises all over her arm. My heart started to race and I heaved a long sigh.

"Mrs. Baker. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." She replies.

I stare at her, feeling slightly even more awkward, "Are those bruises from....? ummm....you know what. Never mind, I don't mean to pry into your business."

Just as she was about to say something, her husband came to the door. He looks at her and then over to my direction, we make eye contact, "What's going on here?"

I adjusted my glasses, "Oh. Hi. I'm Ansley. I live next door. I was just bringing your wife's daughter back to her. I saw her outside by herself."

I hear AJ's motorcycle coming down the street. He pulls up into the driveway and takes his helmet off. He walked over to the front door and I can tell he's confused. Brows ceased as he looked at me.

"What's wrong? Ansley? What are you doing here?"

I looked up at AJ. "Oh hey, AJ. I was just saying hi to your parents. I mean, your mom and your step dad. I gotta go. I'll see you later tonight." I walk back to my house and I bit my lip anxiously and walked towards my house. As I was walking, AJ caught up to me. "We're still on for tonight, right?"

I looked up at him and I smiled. "Haha what do you mean? Of course we're still on!"

He sighs heavily. "Okay great! I got nervous there for a second." I noticed his hands were shaking and I walked over to him and slid my hand on his.

"Why are you nervous?" I asked.

"Well. I just saw you talking to my stepdad and he can be kind of an asshole. I just thought maybe he scared you off and you wouldn't want anything to do with me." He says.

I can see his face turn red and he looked like he was holding back tears. Wow. He really can't stand his stepdad. I leaned in for a hug and for some reason, I just didn't want to let go. I wish I could just hug him and make everything ok. I looked up at him. "I mean, your stepdad is kind of scary. No offense. But I like you, AJ. A lot actually. Nothing is going to change that."

His amazing brown eyes looked right into mine, "I like you a lot too, Ansley."

He put his arm around me and I put my head down on his chest. I could literally feel butterflies explode in my stomach. Ugh. I really do like this guy. I've never had butterflies before. I hope he is comfortable with this. We sat on my front porch and talked for a couple more minutes until we heard his mom calling for him to come back inside.

"That's my cue." He sighs.

"Right. Okay, well I will see you later."

"I'll pick you up at 7:00 sharp!" He smiles and starts walking towards his house.