Chapter Five

Ansley

While I was on the floor, my phone started ringing again and I looked at it, it was Amelia.

"Hey." I said quietly

"Hey! What's up?" She asks cheerfully.

"Nothing. Just at home." I said

"Are you okay? You don't sound like yourself." She asks.

"N-no. I'm not okay." I said, and then I started crying again. "Nobody understands how it feels."

"Ansley. Talk to me. What happened?"

I could hear the concern in her voice.

"Well... AJ came over and I was helping him ice his hand, he got into a fight with his stepdad. Everything was going great until he started asking about my biological parents. It made me upset." I took off my glasses and started rubbing my eyes.

"Are you kidding me? That jerk! How could he be so insensitive?"

"I know." I sighed. "I told him to never talk to me again."

I got up off the floor and went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. I sat down at the table and I looked out the window.

"I'm so sorry that happened. Are you going to be okay? Do you need me to come over?" She asks.

"Yeah I'll be okay. I don't want you to be late for work. Besides, my dad should be home in a couple of hours."

"Okay. Well, call me if you need anything. Forget about AJ. He's a jerk and he doesn't deserve you. The next time I see him, I'm going to say something to him!"

I laughed. She's always had my back. Truthfully, she's my only genuine friend. Since I don't really let in a lot of people into my life, she's the only one I've ever let in.

"You're so crazy. I'll call you later! Have a good day at work." I said.

When I got off the phone, I went into my room and changed into my sweatpants and oversized hoodie. There's just something about getting into comfy clothes, let me tell you. I got into my bed and grabbed my laptop, I opened up Crunchyroll and started watching the rest of my show. Yes, I'm the geeky girl that's into Anime. I love the romance shows, they are just so cute. I guess I fell asleep while I was watching my show, because I woke up to my dad shaking me, trying to wake me up.

"Hey Ansley." My dad says softly.

I opened my eyes and smiled. "Hey dad." I sat up on my bed. "I took a nap, obviously. What time did you get home?"

"About 30 minutes ago. I tried calling you to let you know I was on my way home but you didn't answer. I figured you were taking a nap, sleepy girl! Ready for some pizza?"

"Oh, sorry. I was just exhausted from the first day and everything. I'm totally ready for that pizza! Race you to the kitchen?" I got up from my bed and started running downstairs. I made it to the kitchen first!

"Hey! That's not fair! Go easy on your old man!" He ran behind me. As soon as he got to the kitchen, he was breathing so hard, trying to catch his breath. "Gosh. You're going to give me a heart attack!" He gasped.

I giggled. I helped get out the plates, cups, and salad. Two boxes of pizza were sitting on the counter. I opened up both of them, one was pepperoni and sausage, my favorite! The other one was Hawaiian. Yuck, I still don't know how people can eat that. Pineapple does not belong on pizza!

I put two pieces of pizza and some salad on my plate and sat down at the table, waiting for my dad to sit down. He got some napkins and handed me one, then he sat down next to me. "So, how was the first day of school?" He asks.

I took a bite of my pizza and then a sip of my water. "It was so good! Amelia and I have every class together except one!" I squealed.

"Glad to hear that. You and Amelia have been joined at the hip since you first came to live with us. I'm glad she's been such a great friend to you." He clears his throat. "So, I have another question." Uh oh. It's probably about AJ being over here earlier. When it comes to guys, my dad is really protective.

"Yes." I asked sheepishly.

"Why exactly was that guy over when you were here by yourself?" His tone changed.

I.... uh..... I...." I stuttered and got really quiet. I don't know why he's so angry about it. We didn't even do anything. Besides, I'm still a virgin. It's best for me just to wait for the right guy. So my dad really doesn't have to worry about me doing anything.

"Ansley. I asked you a question."

"Yes sir. Well, he got into a fight with his stepdad. They don't really get along and he hurt his hand."

"Oh I see. Yeah, I've seen his stepdad a couple times. Tried being friendly to him, talking to him, you know? But he doesn't even say anything. He seems a little rough around the edges."

"Right. Well, I wanted to make sure he was okay so I invited him in to get some ice." I started thinking about everything that happened and I started crying again.

"Ansley. What's wrong? Did he do something? I swear if he did something to you."

"No dad. He didn't do anything. Physically, I mean. He started asking about my biological parents and it made me upset so I made him leave." I sniffed. "I really don't understand how or why my biological parents abandoned me. I don't get it."

"Oh. Don't cry, sweetheart. Your birth parents just couldn't take care of you. I know you probably have some kind of resentment towards them for giving you away, that's understandable. Just know they were doing what was best for you. Even if you don't think they actually were. I know they were thinking about you and your well being the whole entire time." He said.

Dad got up from the chair and went over to me. He wiped the tears from my cheeks down then gave me a hug. I gave a slight smile and said, "Thanks dad."

"Anytime, baby girl. Now about that AJ boy. He hurts your feelings again, let me know and I'll be glad to have a little chat with him! It's none of his doggone business about your biological family." He said.

I laugh. He's very protective. I gave him another smile but this time, it was a more genuine smile from my heart. My dad always knows what to say to make me feel better. We finished eating our dinner and then we just chatted for a little bit.