Season 5: Episode 217

Source: Wikipedia

"Sand Alliance With The Leaf Shinobi"

"The rogue ninjas continue running as Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro chase. At the same time, Shino, Hinata, and Neji are using their abilities to find the location of the Shitenshounnin. Temari encounters the first of the members (a woman who uses swords to produce wind) and leaves Gaara and Kankuro to chase after the other three members. Shortly after, Kankuro encounters another ninja who uses a 3-bladed sword that can separate yet still be connected by a wire. Gaara leaves to chase the other two members. Gaara then finds himself in a battle with a huge, robust man who has a spiked flail. The Shitenshonin prepare to kill Temari and Kankuro; however, Shikamaru saves Temari with his Shadow Imitation Technique, and Kiba saves Kankuro."

Analysis

The following episode is about Shikamaru's squad returning the favour to Sand Shinobi for saving them during the Sasuke incident. In other words, Shikamaru calls the mission "Operation Return the Favour." Therefore, this episode will mainly focus on battle techniques used by the Sand Shinobi and the Four Celestials. Other details will be mentioned in the analysis.

The rogue ninjas continue running as Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro chase. At the same time, Shino, Hinata, and Neji are using their abilities to find the location of the Shitenshounnin. Tense music plays in the background with a mix of drums when the Sand Shinobi is running in the forest looking for the enemy, the Four Celestials. At the same time, Shikamaru's squad (Naruto, Kiba, Choji, Rock Lee, and Ino) are also running in the forest looking for the Sand Shinobi so that they can save them. At that moment, this scene is reminiscent of the Sasuke incident in various ways:

1. Rock Lee remembered how Gaara saved him from Kimimaru

2. Shikamaru remembered how Temari saved him from Tayuya

3. Kiba remembered how Kankuro saved him from Sakon and Ukon

All of this happened when they faced challenges with the Sound Four Ninja. You can revisit the Sasuke incident where the Sand Shinobi saved them in Season 3: Episode 124 to Season 3: Episode 127 in my first book, "Naruto Anime Analysis." Therefore, they are indeed returning the favour to the Sand Shinobi for saving their lives. As a result, the music stops playing in the background. Shikamaru's squad decided to wait and stand on three branches, waiting for information from Shino about the Sand Shinobi's location. In another area in the forest, Shino is using his insects to find the location of not only the Sand Shinobi but also the enemy, the Four Celestials.

Meanwhile, the Four Celestials include members such as Hōki, Kujaku, Ryūgan, and Suiko. In the forest that is close to a waterfall, the enemy knew that the Sand Shinobi were coming because they deliberately set tracks they couldn't miss. In other words, they knew they were hot on their trail. After some time, they converse among themselves:

Kujaku: It's perfect; they will be within range shortly. There are three of them, including Gaara.

Hōki: As for the other two, dig them up however you like and take them on in one-to-one combat. Meanwhile, I'll lure Gaara into the reverse scale position.

Kujaku: Okay, but I get the first crack at them.

Hōki: Alright, you're on.

The dialogue shows a foreshadowing of what is going to happen later in the plot. Hōki (the Four Celestial Leader) told his team to take on the sand shinobi in one-to-one combat so that he could trap Gaara. Therefore, one shall see a battle taking place where the Four Celestials will reveal their ninja techniques.