Naruto: The Protagonist

Although the anime series is mainly focused on his journey to become Hokage, it also looks at how Naruto touched the lives of many characters positively. In other words, Naruto symbolizes hope, ambition, self-improvement, and friendship. 

For instance, in Season 1: Episode 1, Iruka was one of the first people to care about Naruto. Despite knowing that the nine-tailed fox killed his parents, he knew that it wasn't Naruto's fault that the tailed beast was sealed inside of him. At that moment, it encouraged Naruto to defeat Mizuki with his shadow clones. After some time, Naruto graduated from the academy because Iruka used Naruto's ability to master the shadow clones to justify his graduation from the Ninja Academy. This was the start of a beautiful student-teacher relationship between Naruto and Iruka. 

In Season 1: Episode 2, Naruto became the mentor of the third Hokage's grandson, Konohamari. Naruto helped him realise that Konohomaru cannot rely on his name to follow in his grandfather's footsteps to become Hokage. Instead, he had to work hard and since Naruto was already linked with the third Hokage's son, it just proved that he was the main antagonist of the series. 

In Season 1: Episode 16, Sasuke risked his life to save Naruto from Haku's attack. They were rivals, and when Naruto asked him why he did that, Sasuke said his body just moved. At that moment, Sasuke did care about Naruto as his friend, which was the start of a friendship between the rivals. 

In Season 1: Episode 19, Naruto helped Zabuza realise Haku's sacrifice to protect him. He was moved by Naruto's words to the extent that he cried. So Zabuza redeems himself as a ninja by enduring multiple stabs and beatings to reach Gato and killing him with the kunai he placed in his mouth. Zabuza collapses as Gato's men retreat. Towards the end, he asked Kakashi to place him beside Haku. At that moment, Naruto's words helped Zabuza realise that he did care about Haku. 

In Season 1: Episode 25, when Naruto had to answer the tenth question in the chunin exams, he refused to give in to fear with his outburst, putting the minds of those remaining at ease. Naruto played a role in giving everyone hope that they could pass the question, which is why he symbolises hope. 

In Season 2: Episode 96, Naruto helped Tsunade realize her duty to become the fifth Hokage. At first, she was reluctant to become the Hokage because she had lost her little brother, Nawaki, and her lover, Dan, who died due to their dreams of becoming the Hokage. So, when she met Naruto for the first time, he bore a resemblance to her little brother Nawaki when Naruto mentioned he wanted to become a Hokage one day. At that moment, she realised the dreams of her little brother Nawaki and her lover Dan living inside Naruto. Moreover, Naruto also helped her conquer her fears of blood and decide to become Hokage. Naruto affecting one of the legendary sannin, Tsunade, further proves he is the main protagonist of the anime series. 

In Season 3: Episode 134, Sasuke realised that he still cared about Naruto like a brother. Instead of killing Naruto at the Final Valley to obtain the Mangekyo Sharingan, he spared his life and headed off to Orochimaru's hideout. At that moment, one can see that there might be hope for Naruto to bring Sasuke back to the Leaf Village. After some time, he still promised that he would bring Sasuke back no matter what, which shows his ninja way of never going back on his word. 

Naruto even taught characters such as Lady Toki and Lady Haruna that the pursuit of revenge doesn't bring peace but darkness. 

Naruto helped Neji realise that he needed to shape his own destiny when he defeated him during the Chunin Exams. Ever since then, Neji has learned to follow his destiny as he continues to work hard to become a fine shinobi. 

Naruto was supportive of Hinata during her fight with Neji. Although she lost her fight, she was proud of herself for putting effort into it. Ever since then, Hinata has trained and worked hard to master her Protective 8 Trigrams: 64 Palms technique. She was inspired by Naruto's drive to never give up on a fight, which made her work hard from now on to become a shinobi. 

Naruto has helped Gaara change for the better. At first, Gaara was a monster, killing everyone in his path without remorse. Yet ever since Naruto defeated him to protect his friends, Sasuke and Sakura, Gaara has had a change of outlook. He now strives to work hard and make connections with the people at the Sand Village. Though he had siblings, they didn't understand the pain he felt as a host of a tailed beast. So when he met Naruto, who was also the host of a tailed beast, he felt understood and finally found someone who understood him, which made them friends. 

Naruto, as a protagonist, has helped these characters find peace and understanding in their lives. As he led off for his two-and-a-half years of training with Jiraiya because of the Akatsuki, one is hopeful that he will become a Hokage one day that brings peace into people's lives.