Chapter 16 - Plan in Action

The plan you concocted was to "break up" with Klein and then watch everyone's reactions and act accordingly based on them- especially Issin's- in order to protect Klein. You weren't too worried for your own sake- after all, the only thing real in this world are emotions and death.

You decided not to let Klein know that it was fake, that way it would come across to everyone as real. Although you weren't too sure if Issin was trying to keep tabs on Klein's whereabouts, or if he was even tracking you, you decided that detaching yourself completely from Klein would be the best option for everyone.

Of course, if you ever got out of this game, you would explain everything to Klein and hope he understood.

You took a deep breath and quickly glanced around the alley you had been hiding in for the past two days.

The part about the plan that you didn't like was the fact that you would be (hopefully temporarily) hurting Klein. Of course, if he tried to do anything crazy based off of his emotions, you would explain the plan, but you didn't want to if you didn't have to.

You had been mulling this over in your head for the past two days now- fighting with yourself, debating whether you should put Klein's feelings or Klein's safety first.

In the end though, Klein's safety reigned supreme.

Opening your game menu, you selected the messaging tab, then selected Klein's name.

"Am I really about to do this?" you thought.

As a new message window popped up, you swallowed your fear and raised your hands to type.

Klein,

I don't think we should see each other anymore.

You closed your eyes and sighed, hating that you had to stoop so low as to break up with him over a message, even if it was fake.

Then, you opened your eyes, straightened yourself, and pressed send.

Within a few seconds, a notification message popped up. You opened it, your heart pounding in your chest.

What?

Then, a follow-up message.

But (Y/N)!

You sighed, hating yourself for this. It most likely felt real to you because to Klein, it was real.

I think it's best if we both move on from one another.

You wanted to tell him that this was all fictional. It probably looked bad on your part as well- you hadn't talked to him in two days and now you suddenly reappear, saying that your relationship is over.

But I was going to propose to you! I wanted you to marry me, (Y/N)! I love you! I love you so much!

Tears began to stream down your cheeks as you read his last message. You loved him too- more than what you originally realized. Imagining him proposing to you, down on one knee, you began to cry harder.

He had been nothing but kind to you, openly showing how much he cared for you. He never once hurt you. Even now, he was still showing he cared for you. And you just go and slam the door on him.

Tilting your head back against the alley wall, an inhuman noise escaped your vocal chords through your tears.

You felt like scum. He didn't deserve any of this. This most likely severed the real relationship the two of you had. You should have thought this out more.

You wanted to tell him your plan so badly. So very badly. But, you wanted him safe. That was important to you.

I'm sorry.

After that, there was no reply.