Chapter 39: Start of Trouble

"Dr. Grey! We need some help in here!" Dr. Robbins shouts from inside a trauma room. I snapped my glove on quickly and grimaced as I hobbled into the nearest trauma room, not having enough time to grab my resting crutch.

I squeezed my face as I made it to the door and was abruptly shaken to see Lexie scurrying in before me.

I shoved through the door and grunted while making it to Arizona's side.

"Hold pressure onto his chest, please." Today was the start of a traumatic day. A small, nine-year-old boy was shot. We were concentrated on working quickly, both Arizona and Burke and now me plus the other Dr. Grey.

"We need to take him up for scans, then go straight to the OR." Burke exhaled once there was control over the bleeding. "Dr. Grey, can you take him?"

"Yes." Both Lexie and I responded at the same time. I glanced at her quickly and looked back down at my leg. I could make it all the way there quick enough if I tried. But her springy body and young mind would be more worth than mine.

"Okay, we only need one of you. Um, Lexie... I'll go with you to take him to CT, meet us in the OR Robbins." I pursed my lips. That was a better alternative anyway. But I was disappointed to be bumped out of the surgery. I hadn't been working all this time to be replaced by my sister.

They quickly wheeled the boy out of the room, and nurses had already begun to file in to begin cleaning up. I exhaled harshly while hopping away from the bloody floor on one foot, gripping my leg gently as the tendons pulled.

"I'll get your cane." Arizona smiled while rushing to get the unattended accessory. I grinned gently as she placed it into my bloody glove. I held it tight while following her out, gimping on my opposing legs.

"Robbins! I've got an 8-year-old, can you go to bed 4?" She looked at me sadly and looked at the doctor calling her.

"Nurse Ryan, will you please page Dr. Made to Dr. Burke's OR?" I watched as she scurried to get everything covered. So many injuries. A busy, busy day. A busy day where I wasn't being utilized.

"Grey!" I turned to see Bailey requesting me, the ER was bustling with people, and I had been working in it a lot lately. A lot more than I thought I would be with my newfound setbacks but the return back to the hospital was the greatest thing I could ask for.

I walked towards her as smoothly as I could, trying to exercise my leg in the most fluid motions.

"Yes, Bailey?" I questioned.

"That's Mr. Reck, he is complaining of abdominal pain, he was in a car accident, and his son is with Robbins. I need to see the chief, can you take him?" I looked over at the bed, the man was young. Young to be a father at least.

"Okay, I got it." I walked up to the man's bed and pushed the curtain farther open, "Hello Mr. Reck, my name is Dr.Grey, I heard you have some abdominal pain, mind if I feel?" The man looked up at me. His brown eyes trailed down to my crutch as I set it against his bed. He looked disgusted. I ignored his peering glance and lifted his shirt slightly, reaching to feel his bruised stomach.

"Stop, don't..." He quickly shoved my hand away and shifted up the bed, wincing. His face remained repulsed. I looked at him with a confused glance. His face was tight, clear with pain.

"Sir, you could have internal damage, please let me examine you." I reached for his shirt again and he pulled away harshly, grimacing.

"No! No, I don't..." he paused and let out an exhale.

"Sir..." I sighed while placing both of my hands on the rails. The sounds of the ER bustled around. I didn't have the patience to deal with a stubborn patient right now. I am a healer. "Sir, please let me help you." I placed my hands in the air, not touching him, knowing he wasn't comfortable with that, but hoping he would be.