10th July 1934

"Berlin" reich calls out to get the states attention while both are working in the office.

"Yes, sir?" Berlin asks from the couch, very concentrated on his workload.

"Why did the great war turn into a crawling slow trench warfare?" Reich asks without looking up, even when Berlin does.

"Mainly the introduction of artillery and machine guns forced the soldiers to dig trenches to protect themselves. This led to heavily fortified trenches and caused to fronts to move at a snails pace." Berlin replies cautiously, not knowing if reich is testing him for some obscure reason.

"Like the American shotgun" reich states and Berlin gives a short "yep"

Reich is quietly thinking before resuming the conversation.

"So if we were to hypothetically attack France by tomorrow we would most likely end up with a similar situation?" He asks and now Berlin takes a moment to think.

"Due to the Treaty of Versailles we are limited in our arsenal and even though the introduction of tanks would cause the battlefield to be more dynamic i would still say that we would find ourselves at a similar position like the German empire did. Probably costing us many lives in the process as well." Berlin finishes his assessment, now fully looking at reich which invites the nation to look up as well.

"So if we had a more advanced weapon than them we could dominate them more easily" He states although it sounds somewhat like a question. "That is correct, sir" Berlin nods adding a quick "never hurts to be on the technologically advanced side."

Reich nods slightly in agreement before scribbling something down on his notebook.

"I want you to contact science hubs and make a list of everything they are currently working on which could potentially help up gain a scientific edge over our opponents. The ones that convince me will receive full funding from me." Reich orders which Berlin notes down on his timetable so he won't forget about it.

"Many disloyal scientists have left the country but i will contact the ones that didn't." Berlin mumbles while writing. "Any specific scientific research or a wide spectrum?" He asks his nation who wagers his options.

"Things that could have *some* potential in helping us defeat our enemies. I don't want to know how the birds and the bees in jellyfish work" reich quips with just enough sarcasm in his voice for Berlin to tell that reich is joking around.

"Understood, sir" Berlin chuckles silently before standing up to do the task.

"Anything else sir?" He asks before leaving the room. "A cup of coffee and some snacks while i am at work would be good." Reich mumbles bored, shortly looking at the fenced in Germany.

The second the little bean figured out how to crawl nothing was safe from him. The best solution they had for now was to grab some rabbit fence and build a big cage in the corner of the room.

Some pillows and colourful toys also got thrown in there.

Berlin had some objections about letting Germany chew on a thick glass rod so they tried to replace it by an actual chew toy.

It didn't work.

"Yes sir" Berlin replies and leaves the room, leaving reich and Germany alone.

"Are you interested in science?" Reich asks the small nation, not expecting to get an answer. He only hears a little coo in return.

"Thought so" he replies sarcastically and turns to the small nation, only to see him chew on a blanket. A sigh escapes his throat.

Germany better grow out of this phase fast.