- YEAR ONE -

Everything was dark. Silent. A girl and her twin brother were dozing peacefully together in their crib. They were young, just barely a year old. 

The house was quiet until the distant sound of a scream startled the children awake. The older one, the brother crawled to comfort his sister as she began to weep quietly, frightened by the noise. 

The door to their nursery swung open violently, revealing a beautiful red-haired woman that could only be their mother. Her mouth was moving rapidly, tears stained her porcelain cheeks as she spoke to the children.

But her voice only sounded like it was under water, muffled by some unseen force. Then a loud bang interrupted her, and she flinched, twisting her body around to shield the little girl and her brother as they held each other tightly. 

A cloaked figure entered the room, and whatever warmth was inside it was immediately drained. As though this figures very existence sucked the life out of everything present. Fear coursed through both of the young children, neither of them knew what was going on. 

One second everything was clear and their mother was on her knees before the crib, begging and pleading, sobbing and wailing. Then there was a flash of bright green light, a sharp, throbbing pain flooded the girl's neck, just behind her ear as she tucked her face away into her brother's shoulder.

An ear shattering scream pierced the air, and she knew not where it came from. 

And then darkness, darkness spread across the entire scape, nothing remained behind.