Chapter Twenty-Seven: Not Really Going Home

I gasped, blinking awake as I sat up in a rush. I grunted in pain as I gripped my left side, gasping slightly. I looked down to see my ankle bandaged up, and I saw in my reflection in the window across from me that I had a large bandage wound around my upper arm on my right arm.

I heard a soft groan from the bed next to me and looked over to see my brother shifting awake, blinking dazedly until he reached over to the side table and grasped his glasses, putting them on.

Both of us stopped when we noticed the large table of sweets and gifts standing between our two beds.

"Wow..." I muttered, glancing at Harry as he smiled crookedly.

"Good afternoon, Harry. Natalie." Dumbledore's voice had us both jumping in surprise as he appeared in the doorway to the Hospital wing.

"Ah, tokens from your admirers?" Dumbledore gestured to the table.

"Admirers?" Both Harry and I questioned.

Dumbledore smiled softly, "What happened down in the dungeons between you and professor Quirrell is a complete secret. So, naturally." He grinned even wider, "the whole school knows."

"Ah, I see your friend Ronald has saved you both the trouble of opening your chocolate frogs," The Headmaster picked up an emptied box.

"Ron was here?" Harry looked up, "Is he alright?"

I perked up, "What about Hermione?"

"Fine," Dumbledore held out his hands, calming us, "They're both just fine."

"What happened to the stone?" I started to ask, staring expectantly at Dumbledore.

"Relax, dear girl. The stone has been destroyed." He clarified, "My friend Nicolas and I had a little chat and agreed it would be best all around. Even after it was magically split to ensure its safety."

Harry frowned, "But then, Flamel, he'll die won't he?"

Dumbledore nodded sadly as he sat on the edge of Harry's bed, facing the both of us, "He has enough elixir to set his affairs in order. But yes, he will die."

"How is it we managed to get the stone, sir?" I spoke up, peering at my twiddling fingers, "One minute we were standing in the mirror, and the next..."

"Ah, you see, only a person who wanted to find the stone, find it, but not use it." The professor smiled, "Only then would they be able to get it."

Harry then asked another question, "But, why was it split?"

Dumbledore smiled, "It was broken with a spell that would have it rejoin only if the person, or people in your case, that found it were truly worthy of it. That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between you and me that is saying something."

Harry raised his brows, "Does that mean, with the stone gone, that is...Voldemort can never come back."

My stomach lurched with nerves.

"Ah, I'm afraid there are ways in which he can return. Harry, Natalie, do you know why Professor Quirrell couldn't bear to have either of you touch him?" Harry and I both shook our heads as the Professor's questions, "It was because of your mother, she sacrificed herself for you. And that kind of act leaves a mark."

Subconsciously, both of us reached to press two fingers to our scars. Dumbledore smiled and shook his head.

"No, no, this kind of mark cannot be seen. It lives in your very skin."