Prolouge

DING! DONG!The door opens to the Cook's neighbors, the Parker's.

"Mrs. Maybelle and Mr. Benjamin! What a surprise, I wasn't expecting you two to come over."

"Elise, I've told you a hundred times to call us May and Ben like everyone else does." Ben laughed.

"We also have a special guest..." May said, stepping aside to reveal a six year old Peter Parker standing there shyly.

"Is that..." May nods in response and Elise smiles.

"Please come in!" Elise said as she opened the door wider, stepping aside as she called for her daughter. "Cassie! Mr. Ben and Mrs. May are here to visit us!"

"Coming!" a six year old Cassandra yelled as she thundered downstairs in. She was dressed in grey shorts and a baggy blue shirt. "Hi, Uncle Ben! Hi, Aunt May!" She said excitedly as she hopped around like a happy puppy.

"Peter, this is Cassandra. Cassandra, this is Peter." Aunt May smiles as she introduces them to eachother.

"Hi!"

"Hi."

"Now, Peter...don't be shy..." Aunt May smiles as she urges Peter to talk to Cassandra.

"Nice to meet you, Peter!" Cassandra smiles happily.

"Nice to meet you too." Peter smiled.

"Hey, buddy. How about you play with Cassandra and the adults can talk." Uncle Ben chimed in, hoping to talk to his neighbors about why Peter was living with them.

"Alright." Peter nods.

"Cassie, do you wanna go outside and play on the trampoline for a bit with Peter?" Elise asked, resting her hand on Cassandra's back.

"Okay, Mama!" Cassandra smiled and led Peter to there spacious backyard. There's a tall tree with a swing attached to the branch and a big trampoline.

"You have a trampoline?!" Peter exclaimed as Cassandra scrambled onto the trampoline.

"Yeah!" Cassandra smiled as she started jumping on it. Elise watched through the window as she saw Cassandra jumping with Peter.

"Well, what is Peter doing here? I haven't seen him in over five years!" Elise exclaimed as she poured herself some tea.

"He's living with us now. Richard and Mary haven't told us anything..." Ben smiled sadly.

"Sounds a bit dodgy to me." She says as she holds up two cups of tea, "Fancy a cuppa?"

"Yes please." May smiles as she takes a cup of tea from Elise, "How is that husband of yours?"

"James is doing quite fine. He's... sick and can't get out of the hospital bed, but he's alright." Elise explains as she poured Ben some coffee. 

James was Cassandra's father, who had suffered from a heart attack and was in a nearby hospital. Since James's family had been known to have heart problems, it wasn't that much of a surprise. Still very sad though.

"Thank you, Elise." Ben smiled as he took a sip of his coffee, "Good thing James is doing good."

"Well, aren't they doing just peachy..." May smiled at Cassandra and Peter, who were currently trying to do cartwheels and tumbles on the trampoline.

"So sweet and innocent..." Elise smiled as she took a sip of her tea, "Heard about a kerfuffle downtown. Very bad, innit?"

"Ah yes, police got into it didn't they? Quite the case." Ben nodded along with her.

"Well, hasn't reached our neighborhood has it? That's quite good but can you imagine the damage?" May chimed in.

"Supposedly isn't that bad but I really think they got so fussy over everything." Elise said as she watched Peter and Cassandra play around on the swing and trampoline."Ah! You are too young to be worried about that!" 

Ben chuckled as he took another sip of coffee."I'm only 30, Ben."

"And I'm only 49!" May laughs, "Still got a long ways to go before you reach these wrinkles."

"Well, I must say you two look good for 49..." Elise smiles as she takes a drink of her tea."You flatter us, Elise!" Ben chuckles.

°•⟦🕷️⟧•°

"Bye, Peter..." Cassie sniffed up her tears as she hugged a 12 year old Peter.

"Why'd you have to leave, Cassie?" Peter asked, burying his head in his shirt to hide his tears.

"Ma said that we needed to move clsoer to the hospital. Pa's not doing well..." Cassie said, her face stained with tears as more ran down her face.

"I know...but why so far?" Peter muttered.

"It's only across town..." Cassie smiled sadly as she let go pf Peter.

"Yeah..." Peter said, wiping away Cassie's tears, "I'm still gonna miss you..."

"Pfftt...like I won't miss you either..." Cassie sniffed

"Cassie, love. We're...going now..." Elise sad sadly, holding in her tears as she closed the trunk of her car.

"Coming mom."

"You promise you'll...visit sometimes?" Cassie asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah...promise." Peter smiled.

"Promise you won't forget me?""I always keep my promises." Peter grinned, his shoulders slumped as he blinked away tears.

"Yeah right. You promised you'd bring my pencil back last week..." Cassie sniffled as she smiled.

"The important promises, then."

"Fine. You win." Cassie smiled."Here. I wanted to give you...this..." Peter smiled as she handed her a small wooden keepsake box. 

"I was wondering what that box was for." Cassie smiled sadly, "What's in it?"

"Don't open it until you get in the car and start driving." Peter said as she waved goodbye, getting into the car and driving off with her mom.

Cassie opened the box, revealing some pieces of paper, a stack of paper that had been used for secret notes in class, and a bunch of polaroid pictures she and Peter had taken with Uncle Ben's old camera.

"What's that, Cassie?" Elise asked, taking a look at her daughter through the rear view mirror.

"Just a gift from Peter." Cassie said as her mother focused on the road. She opened up a piece of paper and smiled, internaly gasping.

It was a written note in Peter's scribbly handwriting. 

Cassie laughs to herself as she reads the notes in her head silently Cassie laughs to herself as she reads the notes in her head silently. His letters made it a bit more bearable. A bit more.