4

After I dropped Devonte off, I headed to work.

I don't do shit forreal. I work as a security guard so I just patrol this shopping center off 23rd St. It wasn't the best job, but shit I wasn't selling drugs and I was making money. So I couldn't complain.

I pulled up and seen my boss was outside. I sighed, knowing it's always something when he not in his office.

I got out and walked up to him. "What's up, boss? You good?"

"Darius this is your third time coming after your shift started. Now, your uncle put in a good word-"

"Aye, boss. My fault. I need this job so I'd do overtime. Give me anything. Also I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell unc." I said, damn near begging.

He looked like he was tired of my shit but I did need this job. Unc did a lot for me to work here, I ain't wanna disappoint him.

"Alright." He finally said. "I have been having trouble with some trepassers in front of Ms. Nia's shop."

I smiled hard. "Ight, bet. I'm on it."

I took my happy ass down to where Ms. Nia clothes shop was. It wasn't nothing special. It was a regular women's store in the hood. Ms. Nia was cool too. She bout unc's age, real sweet lady until you piss her off.

By time I was near the store, I saw the problem boss was talking about. It was about four stupid niggas outside the door, doing stupid nigga shit. Two were throwing dice. The other two were passing a blunt.

This probably the spot they sell at, but that was gon have to change soon.

"Aye what's up?" I nodded at one of them. He just looked at me, but the other three were now focused on me.

"Ayo, who is you?" Another one said.

"You on't need to know all that, but I'll just keep it straight. Y'all gotta go." I told them straightforward.

They all started laughing. The one with the dreads came up to me, sizing me up.

He reminded me of...

"Ayo, you that nigga from last night!"
He said first.

"Yo Cas, fuck you talking about? Beat that nigga ass already." One of his friends said. So that's his name, Cas. Sound gay ass hell to me.

"Nah. You talking about the one that knocked that nigga out at the club?" Another said.

"Word." Cas affirmed, still in front of me glaring me down.

"Look, I'll be honest." I explained. "On't wanna fight, a nigga just doing his job. So the easier y'all wanna make it, the better."

They all looked like they were considering what I said. Cas was the one to speak first.

"Ight. But now yo lame ass owe me." He grinned.

I sucked my teeth. "Owe yo ass what nigga?"

He didn't say anything else. He turned around and started walking, making his crew follow.

"Crazy ass nigga." I mumbled to myself as I started walking to where the boss would be.