Ch-7 People on separate islands

[Jai's POV]

Perhaps,friendship which lasted over years can wither in few months,in few nameless weeks.

The last time I saw Karthik was yesterday when he was leaving,without even looking at me. Maybe I'm overreacting maybe I'm not,but either way it hurts,a lot,to be precise. 24hours and no single call or thought,wow just wow...it honestly makes my stomach coil.

First glimpse of him of the day and he is laughing....laughing with the economic major boys. My stomach coils,my eyes feel numb and the sight infront of me tells a lot of things. Maybe we are truly drifting aprt and I do not know how to stop it.

How can you even stop a friendship from breaking when the other party doesn't even care.

Karthik might have gotten bored with me,he needs different friends other than me,right? I shouldn't think about it like this. I will leave him alone,he can make new friends and I will happy for him,he can come back to me whenever he wishes,no restriction.

No restrictions....and that makes my heart contract,my breathing isn't normal and it hurts me this much. It is true I'm not myself these days and I won't lie,it is all because of him,why he has to be this pretty and also like someone else. If he hadn't liked her,I would have gotten over it by now. And yet,no matter how much I try to lie I know it is all my fault,I knew from starting that it would end in a messy way,but still I didn't stop.

I should've,way before,but now I am too far away to go back.

6 months...it has been 6 months since I have started liking him,and you know what they say,if you like someone for more than 6 months that means you are in love.

And this time I won't lie or be in denial,maybe I'm in love.

Butterflies,nervousness,envy,consciousness,small glimpses,the little attention I get from him obviously means something. There is no point in hiding or not accepting it. The clues are right there and it will be stupid of me to not accept them.

Karthik sees me and waves hi. I wave at him back with a smile. I was wrong,we are not drifting back. Warmth again fills my body and my face,my eyes fills with love as I look at him and I think he will come towards me now. No,I don't think,I know that will happened.

I wait for him to come as I swipe here and there on my phone,minutes pass and I look up. There is no sight of him. I smile as I realise I was right,my eyes,I don't know what they are feelings,I don't even know what I'm feeling but atleast I was right,I'm proud. Although I wish I wasn't...

Warmth leaves my body and again I'm empty,empty as ever and here I stand looking like a desperate fool just to get noticed and be cared for,I never knew it was that hard to get in a friendship. Even if I didn't a crush on him,I would still hurt,maybe even more because we are bestfriends.

I was supposed to be his bestfriend and we were supposed to be with each other whenever the other needed and now he isn't,is this where our friendship withers? Are we different people now? Are we people standing on different islands and world now?
I honestly don't know,because I cannot under,I cannot comprehend where we went away.

When he started liking her or when I started liking him? A crush would hurt this much,I never knew. Not a crush but I'm losing a friend too,how can I fell for someone else when I know how much first one felt? I'm overwhelmed,this is overwhelming I cannot lose him,I cannot lose my bestfriend just like this.

I'm truly overreacting,I just have to be optimistic,we will become normal soon,right? Tell me I'm right because I cannot accept any other answer. I'm on brink of crying and one more sight of him and I will.

"Jai!" A loud voice wakes me up from my thought,I clear my throat as I look up. Sameer looking at me concerned. His eyes like always,happy and shining,just like old me.

"Yeah?" I ask dumbfounded.

"What happened? I was calling for you and you didn't listen. Are you alright?" He places his hand over my forehand.

"Yeah,yes I'm ok. I'm sorry I was just thinking about something." I reply looking for my bottle,I chug down water as I clear my head from the thought of him. A company of someone else is fine too.

"Stop thinking of Karthik,you know he likes her,it is all clear in the eyes. He made new friends just to get close to her and yet you are waiting like a fool. Try to live once again and be yourself." Sameer says and I look towards his direction,just how much he knows.

"I'm sorry,I shouldn't say anything about you guys' relationship." He says quietly looking down.

"No,don't be."-I place my arm over his shoulder-"I guess you are right,I should try to move on and live once for all." I agree.

"But how do you know?" Am I that readable,if yes then why can't that idiot read me,he knows me longer than him.

"You are just readable,eyes don't lie." He says looking straight.

"I guess we know more both each other than we think."

He chuckles. "Yes,you're right." And he turns towards me. "Friends?" He extends his arm.

"We weren't before?" Did I made a fool of myself?I thought we were.

"Yes,we were and still are,I just wanted to make sure." He smiles.

"Okay,friends." I take his extended hands in mine and we officially became friends that day.

****

That day,Jai finally truly smiled that day without thinking of him.

****

Thank you for reading:))
We are reaching goals!!
Don't forget to vote the chapter if you like it!and follow me on ig.
Byeee!!<33