Emergency.

"Dazai!" Atsushi called. Kyoka looked all around, being quiet as usual, and you were doing the same. Only unlike Kyoka, your distress was clearly visible. You wrung your hands in front of your chest and your steps were hesitant, shaky.

"Darling?" you shouted, stopping in your tracks to have a closer look at the people around, walking. Maybe one of them would be him.

Tall, dark hair, trench coat, white pants...

You repeated that description in your mind as you analyzed the crowd. Nothing. You sighed.

"You're Dazai's partner, you must know him well. Do you have any idea where he could be investigating?" Kyoka asked you. You put a hand up to your chin in thought.

"Hm..." You shut your eyes, squeezing them in thought. "Honestly, I'm not sure. As much as I know him, we rarely ever go on missions together," you explained. "You would have to ask Kunikida, since he's always partnered with Dazai, but..."

"He's unavailable." Atsushi finished your sentence, sweating a bit because of the stress. You nodded.

Your eyes widened when you heard a strange noise. "Wait. Did you hear that?" you asked. Atsushi nodded, and so did Kyoka. You began speed-walking in the direction of the sound. Hearing a sudden, loud thump on the ground made you start to sprint.

Your instincts told you that this isn't good. Not at all.

You were the first to make it near the alley where the sound came from, and you covered your mouth in shock.

"Dazai!" you screamed, sprinting in his direction and dropping to your knees on his level, scraping them. He didn't look good. He was completely pale.

Blood pooled on the floor from his abdomen and back, also pooling in his mouth. He seemed to be unconscious, but his slight up and down movements confirmed he was still breathing. Then, you remembered something important Yosano once told you.

"Always apply pressure to the wound."

"Shit...I'm sorry." You apologized to someone who couldn't answer, let alone hear. You scrunched your face with guilt as you placed your hand on his injury, one of top of the other, pressing down firmly. You felt Dazai twitch in pain. Even when he was passed out, it still hurt.

"Atsushi! Get help!" you yelled. He stumbled as he ran towards the nearest pay phone, which was thankfully right by where you were. Kyoka followed. You stayed put, feeling your entire body shaking. You were still distraught, scared.

Your mind in a panic, went to thinking the worst.

What if he died?

You tried to take deep breaths, but they just came out as shaky sighs, just hyperventilating. "None of his vitals were hit," you tried to reassure yourself. "It'll be okay," you said out loud, to him, and yourself.

As soon as you knew it, you were helping him onto a gurney, seeing him being placed in an ambulance off to the hospital.
_____

     You knocked on the door gently, reading the number "217." You rocked back and forth on your heels and toyed with the handle of the basket you brought, waiting for an answer.

"Come in," Dazai said. Opening the door and gently closing it, you gave a warm smile, opposite of the cold, sanitary feel of the room he now resided in. He smiled as well. "It's nice not seeing another nurse to check my vitals again," he joked. You laughed, pulling up a dark blue chair and placing down the basket you brought for him on his bedside table. A nice assortment of fresh fruit.

"It's nice seeing you alive," you replied playfully. "But seriously, how are you holding up?"

"Just fine. But, I think I should be asking you that." You cocked a brow.

"Why? You're the one that got shot!" you exclaimed in confusion.

"Well," Dazai started, "The doctor told me you were very insistent on getting into the ambulance I was in. Quite the fuss." Your face became red, and you fiddled with your fingers, looking at anything but Dazai's face.

"I just- I was worried, and I wasn't able to see you! So, I just-"

"I'm messing with you," your boyfriend said, laughing at your futile attempt of defense. "It's okay." You let out a huff.

What a tease.

"Well," you said, grabbing an orange and peeling it for Dazai, "I'm just glad you're alright. Here." You gently put the peeled orange in his hands. He tore off a chunk, and ate it. "How long do you have to stay here?" you asked. Your lover shrugged.

"No idea." He spoke with his mouth full.

"Guess I'll have to talk to them about that," you said, crossing your arms and looking at the door. You had the feeling you were being overprotective, but you didn't care. You shook your head, deciding to bring the topic off of being in a hospital. It must be the last thing he wants to talk about. You turned back toward him. "Whatever- I'll give over any information you may have to the Agency. I'm sure you have faith in us."

"Of course I do."

Your smile was proud. Proud of him, the Agency, and most importantly, yourself. A knocking on the door disrupted your thoughts. Looking back, you saw a nurse.

"Excuse me, visiting hours are over..." she said. You stood up, and took a deep breath.

"No way I'm leaving now! That is my boyfriend! He was shot! Imagine yourself in my position here!" you scolded, pointing your finger at the woman who cowered in fear.

"I'm sorry, I can't control the hours!" she squeaked.

The next ten minutes were filled with arguments, and you eventually, and inevitably, giving up. You sighed, and turned toward Dazai. Your expression was much warmer toward him. You gave him a kiss on the forehead.

"I'll visit as soon as I can," you said. He smiled, and nodded.

Walking into the parking lot, you realized just how at ease you were. As if a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders.

He's okay.

Safe and sound.

_____

HIII wanted to add fun fact Dazai's room number was inspired by The Shining lol okay bye