Chapter 7

We arrived at Steve's apartment late that night. I was dead tired. Steve showed me to a bedroom where I could sleep. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I was awoken around four-thirty-ish by Steve. "I'm going on a jog. Would you care to join me?" he inquired.

"Sure" I replied rolling out of bed to put on some shorts and a work out shirt. I wasn't going to sleep anyways.

I laced up my shoes and met Steve at the door. We headed out and started jogging. As we jogged, I paid close attention to the monuments we passed.

Eventually, we passed a black man who was also jogging. "On your left" Steve shouted as we passed him.

We came up to him a second time. "On your left" both Steve and I shouted.

"Yeah got it. On my left" he shouted after us.

We came up to him a third time. "Don't you say it. Don't you dare say it" the man yelled.

"On your left" we said.

"Oh come on" he shouted. After another lap or two we came up to the same man sitting under a tree.

"Need a medic?" Steve inquired.

"I need a a new set of lungs" he replied "Sam Wilson".

"Steve Rogers" replied Steve helping the man up.

"Yeah I kind of put that together. Who's this?" Sam said.

"Oh, my name is Will" I stated.

"You two related?" Sam asked.

"Oh goodness no" Steve and I said in unison. He and Steve exchanged some more banter before we turned to go. Sam stopped us.

"It's your bed right?" he said "It's too soft".

"Like a marshmallow. You feel like you'll sink right to the floor" Steve finished. I nodded and apparently Sam noticed.

"You get it too?" he didn't ask more than that. He seemed nice, so I decided that he could be trustworthy.

"You could say I was raised by Nazis" I replied. Steve laughed.

"What's so funny?" Sam said raising an eyebrow again.  Steve's phone buzzed.

"Well duty calls. It was nice running with you, if that's what you call running" Steve stated and a black car pulled up behind us.

"Oh is that how it is" Sam teased.

"Oh that's how it is" Steve joked. The car window rolled down.

"Hey fellas. Does anyone know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil" Nat said from the driver's seat of the car. Steve and I got in the car.

"Can't run everywhere" Steve shrugged.

"No you cannot" Sam sighed as we drove off. It was official SHIELD business, so Nat dropped me back off at Steve's apartment. Since I couldn't go with them, I decided that I would call Peter.

"Hey Will" he said when he picked up the phone.

"Hey Peter" I replied.

"What are you doing today?" he inquired.

"I'm not sure. I'm in DC with Steve for the next couple weeks" I stated "what are you doing today?"

"Oh you know, more SHIELD training with the team" said Peter "well gotta go. See you in a couple weeks".

With that Peter hung up. Apparently Steve had asked his neighbor to watch me while he was gone. She was nice and didn't ask about my scars. I decided to trust her too.