A BEAUTIFUL SMILE

It was her first day on the job, fresh out of the academy. She reported to the Cleveland Police Department fourth district to meet her field training officer and begin the next phase of her life.

She walked into the roll call room and looked around. There was only one other female officer there. Heads turned. She smiled at no one in particular and took a seat. The Officer in Charge walked into the room. He was talking to what Allie thought was one of the best-looking men she had ever seen. He was exotic. She knew he was of Latinx descent. His smile was intoxicating. She had a thing for a beautiful smile. She didn't turn her head to look at him. Being a Marine had taught her how to look at people with peripheral vision. She could be looking the other way but still be looking directly at you. She knew when to have her head on a swivel and when to be discreet.

"Yeah, well then, you should seek some help. Hearing voices is not normal. Even if it is Lindsey Lohan, Nick." He slapped the man on the back and laughed.

"Yeah, and I'll pick up your prescription for that little itching issue you have," Nick replied. "It's the least you can do. You're the one that gave it to me."

He gave him a kissy face.

She loved the way his laugh sounded. It occurred to her that the seat next to her was the

only empty one in the room.

Maybe he will stand up against the wall. There were already half a dozen guys doing so, she thought.

"Alvarez!"

He went over to the guy Allie later learned was Dominic Pistone. He leaned into him, planting his hand on the wall. She watched as Pistone whispered something to him. Alvarez slightly turned his head and looked at her. Their eyes locked, and she froze. He smiled at her. He said something to Pistone, turned, and walked to the empty seat beside her.

"Please don't sit by me. Please don't sit by me. Please don't sit by me," Allie murmured. "Is this seat taken?" he asked.

He pulled the chair out; the legs made a loud dragging sound that echoed through the room. He hitched up his duty belt and sat down. He was a big man-about 6'3, maybe 220 pounds. He smelled amazing. He scooted closer to her.

"It is now," she said under her breath.

"Are you new here or a transfer?" he asked. She looked over at him.

"I guess you can say both," she replied. 

 "Oh, really? Where are you coming from?" 

"The Marine Corps." His eyes opened wide, and he had a surprised and impressed expression.

 "Really? Nice." He nodded his head. "Military Police?"

"Yes. Six years," she said. He put his hand out. 

"Welcome to the fourth. I'm Alex Alvarez." 

Allie shook his hand. "Alexsandra, but everyone calls me Allie." 

"Wow. Alex and Allie. Sounds like it could be a 1980's sitcom. So, is today your first day, Alexsandra?" he asked. 

"Allie." 

"Sorry, Allie," he corrected himself. "Hell of a grip you got there." 

"Sorry. I do tend to overcompensate. It is my first day. I am just waiting to be assigned my FTO," she said, looking around the room. "Well, I hope you get a good one."

Alex looked around. "Some of these guys are vultures. If you're lucky, maybe you'll get..." His sentence was interrupted. 

"Alright, everyone, settle down," Nick said. "First thing is we have a new sister in blue. Officer Alexsandra Kingston, stand up, say hello, and give everyone a wave."