UNDER THE SURFACE

Weeks had passed since Alex and Allie had their affair. Since the conversation she had with Russell. They didn't interact much when they saw each other outside of work. Neither brought it up in conversation. It was extremely difficult for Alex. He looked at her like a lovesick puppy. She maintained the utmost professionalism. She acted like that good Marine that was ingrained in her. A lot of yes, Sir, no, Sir, and calling him by his rank and name.

He met her in the hallway outside the locker rooms.

"How are you this morning, Kingston?"

He despised calling her by her last name. They had been so intimate, and he loved saying her name. He would never call her Cara Mia at work, but he wished he could say it to her when they were out of uniform, even if it was in the parking lot on the way to their cars. He equally despised hearing her call him Corporal Alvarez. And he hated it when she called him Sir. He wanted to hear her say, Alex. He hadn't heard her say it since their last night together. His name on her lips was as sweet as honey to him.

"Good morning, Corporal Alvarez. I am doing well. I am just looking forward to my solo."

"Me too."

"I don't think we are looking forward to it for the same reason," she said.

She began walking down the hallway.

"You aren't looking forward to being able to see each other again."

"No. That is not what I am looking forward to. I want to be a full-fledged officer. I want to get out of the metaphorical boot camp. It's not about hooking up again," she said.

He stepped in front of her, and she stopped.

"Hooking up? You're calling what we did hooking up? You were so angry when you thought I thought of you as a conquest. You were so upset that you had lost your renewed virginity to me. And now you say that we were hooking up. Are you trying to hurt me? Did I do something?"

"I'm just being me. I'm here to work, I'll make co-workers, but I am not here to make friends."

"That is a huge crock of shit, and you know it. You have changed. You're not my Cara Mia."

"Why do you think you know me so well? Because we spent a couple of nights together? Have we had a few conversations? How about because we've driven around the cities in circles for weeks?" she asked, annoyed. "Can we please just set up the shop and get on the road."

"OK. Fine."

They signed out all their equipment and went to set up shop. They left the garage and drove for a while. Allie wanted to make sure she knew the streets. They weaved in and out of the neighborhood. She was getting pretty good.

"Why don't I pull over, and you can drive a little," he suggested.

"I think that would be a great idea."

He pulled into an abandoned lot.

They both got out of the shop and met in the middle.

"Do you want to talk about what's been happening between us?"

"Jesus, Alex, you are like a dog with a bone. It would be best if you let it go. Let us go."

"You called me Alex," he smiled that beautiful smile.

She melted just a little.

"Please don't read into it. Alvarez."

"I'm not letting this go, Alexsandra."

He was now inches away from her.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm thinking about breaking the rules of fraternizing on the job with my rookie."