RELEASE ME

Alex helped her off the floor. "I think we should go lie down. And I do mean only lie down." Come on, Cara Mia. Upsy Daisy," he said. "Are you okay? Do you want me to take you home? I don't mind at all."

She sniffed, "No, please. I don't want to be alone right now. I need you."

"I want you to know I am here when you do. I will do anything for you, Allie. All you have to do is ask." Alex pulled her close and kissed her forehead.

"I'm toxic, Alex. Please don't get attached. It can only end badly."

They walked up the steps to his bedroom. She followed him up. His room smelled of his cologne. It had hardwood floors and a four-post bed. One of them had his uniform shit and pants hung on it. The bed was made. There was a large burgundy-colored blanket with a white wolf on it. She rubbed the soft material.

"This is beautiful."

"Thank you. My Abuela gave it to me. She said it was my spirit animal. I am a white wolf."

"Because of its meaning?" she asked.

"You know the symbolism of the white wolf?"

"Yes. It symbolized power, loyalty, guardianship, teamwork, and wildness. Nothing could better describe you; I see all of that in you. One question, though: I thought that your family was Catholic. They don't believe in spirit animals."

"My Abuela had some Cherokee in her bloodline. She wasn't fully Latino. Now, my Abuelo was pureblood," Alex said.

"I know what she would say yours is."

"Do you really? Enlighten me," Allie said.

"An eagle."

She laughed. "You can't get more creative than that?"

"You are. Having an eagle as your spirit animal means that you can see the big picture, gain perspective, assess situations better, and make informed decisions."

"Damn. I guess she would know."

He hugged her again. "I hope you can see the big picture when you look at me and you."

They kissed, soft and slow.

"I also can make informed decisions, apparently," Allie said.

"Please don't use my words against me."

"I want to take my clothes off."

"Now, we're talking," he said.

"Do you have something I can sleep in?"

"And the conversation is over." He looked disappointed.

Alex went into his dresser and pulled out a T-shirt. He held it out in front of him. "Will this work?"

"Flamengo. That's a Brazilian football team, right?"

"Yes. Si. Muy bien. I'm surprised! Very few Americans are familiar with football players. Real football. Not that shit they do here in America. Love the country, hate the football."

She undressed in front of him. She had no shame. He looked at her body. It was beautiful. She had curves in all the right places. She was extremely fit. Her breasts were perfect. He yearned to put them into his mouth. He wondered what she tasted like.

I bet she is sweet, he thought to himself.

He knew she was vulnerable at that moment, and he did not want to take advantage of her. He felt differently about her. He didn't want to be the jugador, not with her. He knew she was different. She was too good for him, no doubt.