ALARM DROP AND DRYERS

"Are you OK? You have been distant lately. Did I do something? Allie?"

Allie was looking out the window.

"Yes, Alex, I'm OK. I know I have been distant, but you didn't do anything," Alex said to himself in a high-pitched voice.

"What?"

"Allie, where have you been for the last week? I feel like you're pulling away from me."

"I know. I'm sorry. I think we need---"

"Any units in the area of 1642 Wesley?" the dispatcher radioed.

"C-327 is right around the corner," Alex radioed back.

"We got off five minutes ago. Can't we please just go home?"

"Yeah, but it's shift change, so a limited number of shops are on the road. We'll give them a little bit of our free time."

"C-327, we have an alarm at that location. The house is vacant and is currently up for sale. The alarm is coming from the garage man door."

"10-4 put us 10-23 on scene.," he said.

"Alex, I need..."

"I'll take the second floor; you take the first," he said.

They entered the house through the open door, guns drawn. Alex headed upstairs while Allie cleared the first floor, checking rooms and closets. She then quietly made her way down to the basement. She cleared the basement.

Alex was upstairs. He walked down the hall, weaving in and out of the rooms. The house was magnificent compared to what he had. He wished that he could buy this house and live with Allie till the day he took his last breath to say I love you. He walked into the final room. It was pink with little bunnies on the wall. There was a height chart next to the door where someone named Marie had been measured till she was four and was 42 inches tall. His heart ached a little for the parents who left the little girls' past behind. He wanted children so very much. Like he had told Allie he wanted as many children as he could afford or his wife was willing to bear. When she told him that she couldn't have children, he said it didn't matter. He wanted to be with her no matter what she could and could not have. But deep down, he was hoping for a miracle. Deep down, we wanted to have a family. He wanted to have that family with her.

He holstered his weapon. He took one last look around.

She heard Alex at the top of the steps.

"Allie? Everything good down there?" he called.

"Everything is clear. Nothing but a washer and a dryer," she called back.

She heard his heavy steel-toe boots coming down the stairs. The thunk-thunk on the stairs echoed throughout the empty basement.

"This is a pretty nice house. You should see the upstairs, spacious bedrooms with huge closets. The main bathroom has a jetted tub. Let's look into what they are asking. There's a room that would make a perfect..."

He stopped. He was going to say nursery, but he caught himself.

Allie was holstering her weapon.

"A perfect what?"

"Office. It would make a perfect office."

"Alex, we're cops. What do we need an office for?" she asked. "Besides, owning a house together would be a huge commitment. Besides, you have a house."

"Yes, my house. I picked it out myself. I was hoping maybe one day we could pick one out together.

"I understand where you are coming from, but we haven't even been together that long," she said.