LIFE AIN'T ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL

As their shift ended, Alex said to Allie, "How about just one drink? You can pick my brain to review some things, and I'd be willing to give you some off-the-books training. " 

"I'm not sure that's a clever idea." 

"Oh, come on. I'll keep my hands to myself," he promised. 

"Yeah, but I don't want you to, and therein lies the problem," Allie said under her breath. Alex wasn't sure if she had really said what he thought he heard her say.

"Come on. I want to get to know who I'm riding with. I promise I won't ask any Marine Corps questions." 

"Lilac," Allie blurted.

 "What?" 

"My favorite color is lilac." 

"Okay..." Alex said, confused. 

"If we don't talk about my time in the Corps, the only thing left is what's your favorite color is. Mine is lilac. What's yours?" 

"I like red. I'm Latino. Kind of goes with the territory." 

"Well, there ya have it. Nice talk, Alvarez," Allie said, patting him on the shoulder. 

He watched her walk away. God, she has an incredible ass.

********************************************************************

That night, Allie walked into Muldoon's on E. 185th and sat at the bar. It was an Irish pub with a casual, friendly atmosphere and hearty food and drink. The TV showed only American and Irish sports- if it wasn't live, it was a replay. Dark wood furnishings and cozy seating areas made the atmosphere rustic and traditional. It was a place to lay back and relax without stress or pretension.

"Charlie, right?" "That is correct. And you are three shots of Jose Cuervo and a Bud Light Platinum." 

"That is correct," Allie said with a smile. 

"You have a beautiful smile if you don't mind me saying." 

Still smiling, Allie replied, "I don't mind at all. I'll take a compliment or whatever you have to give."

Allie had been at the bar for about an hour and a half and was nine shots and four beers in. She was mindlessly scrolling through her phone when a scent filled her nose, immediately making her smile.

"Charlie, can I have one more round? Then I should get going. I'm about done for the day."

 "Sure thing, Allie, with the beautiful smile." the bartender flirted. 

"Charlie, I'm going to tip you, so you don't need to lay it on so thick."

"Her ass isn't bad either, Charlie." 

Allie didn't even need to turn around. "Alvarez." 

"How did you know?" he asked. 

She turned and faced him. "I sat in the car with you for eight hours and inhaled your cologne the entire time. So, when you walked in, I smelled you, and I love it. Now, why are you here?" 

"To drink. It's the same reason you are. And you love my cologne, huh?"

 "Well, I have already had a lot, so you and your cologne need to sit AAAALL the way down at the other end of the bar," she said, pointing. 

"Awe, come on, Kingston. I don't want to drink alone. Let me buy you a round, and then I will move AAAALL the way down there if you still want me to," he said.