#Pʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑶𝑨𝑻𝑯 𝑾𝑨𝑺 𝑴𝒀 𝑶𝑾𝑵 𝑾𝑰𝑳𝑳 𝑩𝑬𝑻𝑹𝑨𝒀𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑴𝒀 𝑩𝑶𝑫𝒀. The very chain, that the dark queen tugged me with, from the other end. And she tugged and controlled me like I was her play pet.

The blood oath was never something that maeve messed around with, she had made sure the cadre had Sworn it to her years ago, yielding them to be her dutiful servants. The oath allowed two beings to bind themselves to one another in what is always an unequal bond, with the one whom offered it being in control and being able to will the other to being completely subservient.

This is how Maeve controls the cadre and me.

⤛⤚⟞༺☼༻⟝⤙⤜

I wasn't 'classified' enough to be in the category of a warrior like the males were, Maeve had said I had more worth then that, but I didn't give two shits, because it was most likely she was making an unwanted excuse for me and Rowan to be separated , brother and sister far away from each other, no more then strangers whom carried the same last name.

Ever since after the battle of Eyllwe Maeve had manipulated Rowan. My brother's 'mates' death had ruined him so deeply that he broke and I had roamed Erilea with him, some weeks we went without food, despite the need for it Rowan continued and I followed him, watching him; looking out for him. Until Maeve had sent out for us, mainly him. She proposed the blood oath to him, and he accepted blindly, I had tried to convince and show him what she was doing but he wouldn't hear it.

I have despised her since. She was the one who killed Lydia, a beautiful innocent woman who only wanted to settle down, with her child and mate. Of course I couldn't tell Rowan at the time because I hadn't found out until years later, while we were both tied to Maeve. I would have done anything to save us from this misery, but wherever my brother followed I had to, it was what us siblings always did. Until he left, for a long time, around three months he had returned with the famous Aelin galathynius, although at first she didn't go by the name Aelin before Rowan was instructed to train her. She was fierce and overall brilliant, and mastered her fire only at the age of 18. I personally idolise her, she's everything I had wished to be, but due to circumstances I couldn't. Me and Rowan had grown apart ever since we both took the blood oath and he eventually forgot me.

Because when him and Aelin had returned for Maeve's approval and knowledge, Maeve had lied and tricked the young woman. Rowan and her must have developed a relationship over the course of the 3 months and this resulted in Rowan breaking his oath to maeve, and taking the young queens instead. I had watched the everything from the shadows.

He had left me to Rott.
He had left his own sister.
He had forgotten about me.

Time passed and soon everything blurred out to be the same, until the Cadre all started paying attention to Maeves little white owl. Me. I got a few glances every now and then from Lorcan, bastard he is. And occasionally Gavriel as well, but Fenrys always seemed more so intrigued in who I was, rather than what I was.

He always looked up at me when he had the chance and would always blink a few times, I could never tell if he were trying to signal to me. But It didn't matter, because I could never blink back. Maeve had specifically ordered me to never engage and never draw attention.

So that is what I did, majority of the time I was trapped in my Owl form, and I was ever only allowed to leave her side when I needed to relief myself or eat and drink. She even had her own cage for me in her chambers . I had to witness horrible things in that room. She used the wolf twins as her slaves to pleasure, and she forced me to watch. Ordered me to watch. For years, centuries, until it was only Connall. Chained like me, but so diffrent.

Even if I wanted to bring a dagger to my throat I could not, because I was always in owl form. It was a rarity when Maeve allowed me to shift into my Fae form, and she would only permit it on occasions or probably because I had stunk so bad, unable to wash myself daily due to the owl form. Every-time I went into a bathroom it was a luxury with its disadvantages, I would always have to face my taunting reflection. The long silver-white hair that flowed down to my waist, and the matching emerald green eyes I shared with Rowan, and the paled tan skin, that was meant to be a olive crisp tan, but from the lack of sunlight; I was practically a ghost compared to my brother. Then was the slim figure that consisted of tattoos along my spine tracing up over my broad shoulders snaking down my arms and eventually linking rings all the way down at my fingers, and of course the side facial tattoos, not as bold as Rowans, but still slightly spirally enough to be seen. I hated my body, it wasn't developed as it should be, my breasts not full, and my arms and legs not muscled but not particularly skinny either. I loved my eyes though, the long dark lashes that made the almond shape look more feminine, and beautiful.

The only thing I hadn't resented about myself.

For some reason since birth I had always possessed the gift of healing and wind controlling, like rowan, but not as fierce and strong but still strong enough. And then there was my animal form, not a hawk, but an owl. Something very rare in the Whitethorn bloodline.

I have been an expert healer since I was young, but Maeve has never asked for my services, ever.

Until she did.

I had come to find out that all the months Rowan had been gone, he was mustering up soldiers, for the one and only Aelin Galathynius. I had known they were mates already, but they had also gotten married, and he was now the young queen's consort. That was news to me. But what was even bigger was the fact that Aelin had been recently captured, by the very, one and only Queen of the Fae; Maeve.

This war that was brewing would not end good for Maeve nor me, because no one knew my part in it or who I was, apart from Rowan, who seemed to forget about me completely.

Maeve had captured the young queen for the keys, but what was she going to do with me?

Why did she need me now?

⤛⤚⟞༺☼༻⟝⤙⤜

❤️
︵ ︵
( / /
/ /
/
͡
͡
͡

(1175words)

If you enjoyed this prologue, Vote and comment, and give me some feedback. <3