#Part ₁₆- Tᴀᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ Nᴏᴡʜᴇʀᴇ

⤛⤚⟞༺☼༻⟝⤙⤜

Rayla:

A few days had passed.

With the help of the little folk, we were all able to safely begin their journey through the mass of tunnelling caves underground, guided by only water, darkness, and well... glowworms?

Days of near-silent travel passed.

Three days, Rowan and Gavriel had said, but she already knew, she felt it in her bones. A clock ticking, time, time, time.

Every minute every moment was a waste of what could be done, it was leeching on her, the ticking the only thing she could hear through the silence of the caves.

Fenrys was still sprawled between her and Gavriel.

Gavriel was a good male, probably one of the only ones she felt truely non-judged and comfortable around.

Fenrys on the other hand wasn't even a Faerie at the moment, white fur still adorned his skin.

So many spoken, but unspoken words between them still lingered. A conversation for later. Because he had remained in his wolf's body since they had, escaped.

She surfaced out of her thoughts, turning her head to view Rowans tattooed finger, pointing toward an alcove in the wall. Shadow veiled its recesses, but as the blue light of the glow worm lantern touched it, gold glittered along the rocky floor. Ancient gold.

Elise's whisper of a voice sounded, "What's a barrow-wight?"

She knew what creatures dwelled in the dark, and she was grateful they had some source of light.

Creatures of malice and thought.

"Creatures of malice and thought," Lorcan answered, perhaps reading her mind.

Fenrys's attention turned to her. His Eyes glowing with something. How did he always know, it's like he could ACTUALLY read her mind.

She sighed.

Lorcan scanned the passageway, a hand drifting to the hilt of his sword. She moved to do the same, but nothing other than the ghost of one, brushed against her fingers.

"They covet gold and treasure, and infested the ancient tombs of kings and queens so they might dwell amongst it. They hate light of any king. Hopefully, this will keep them away," Rayla spoke, breaking the barrier of silence that had swiftly crept back into place over mere moments.

She glanced back towards Fenrys, and something like approval glistened in his eyes.

She let the corner of her mouth twitch into a smile– before vanishing.

Rayla stayed quiet for the rest of the conversation.

The boat swiftly moved across the water deadly quiet.

"Stop the boat," Aelin said.
Silence at the order, even from Rowan.

Aelin pointed to the lip of shore by the cave mouth. "Stop the boat," she repeated.