One

-Octavius-

My fingers drummed on the railing as I stood waiting for my sister-in-law's flight to land; never in a million years did I imagine I would ask her to give up part of her life to help me with Estella. After the passing of my wife Elizabeth our daughter had a rough time, but we always made do and now that she is starting college something has changed and I need help, so I called Anna. A part of me didn't expect to be able to get in touch with her because last I had heard she was helping with a dig in some desert overseas- the last time I'd seen her was ten years ago at Liz's funeral and aside from gifts she would send Stella from wherever she was assigned. I couldn't hold in a heavy sigh when someone came over the intercom announcing the arrival of Anna's flight. My hands flexed as I made my way to the gate so I could watch for her.

When my eyes finally fell on her a tightness formed in the pit of my stomach- a strawberry pixie cut styled in a fauxhawk, sun kissed skin and autumn colored eyes that were the same as both my late wife and daughter. Even though there had been identical twins you could easily tell them apart when they got older because Elizabeth kept her blonde locks long they hung to her waist in waves and her skin was always flawlessly fair; she had been the picture of a perfect mother and house wife while the woman before me took the first chance to get out of dodge so she could attend college to get her master's in journalism and Doctorate in archeology. Honestly, I blame myself for Elizabeth not getting the same opportunities as her twin because we were sixteen when Estella was conceived and, since our families were incredibly traditional, we got married while in high school and after we graduated I went to work for my father at my family's construction company then took over as President when he decided I was ready.

"Tavin," Anna's gravely voice said pulling me out of my thoughts, she was standing before me with a carry-on duffel over one shoulder and a hand on the handle of her rolling suitcase.

"Hey Anna," I softly sighed, giving her a little smile.

"Didn't expect you to pick me up, figured you'd send one of your people. I'm sure being the head hauncho of Kennsington Group keep you pretty busy."

"It does, but I wanted to be the one to pick you up and drive you to the house. Plus I want to take you and Stella out to dinner."

I took hold of the suitcase handle and led her toward the exit of LA-X. "Does she know you called me?" she asked as we made our way through the parking lot to where my F-150 Raptor Hennessey Velociraptor was parked.

I shook my head as I unlocked the truck to put her luggage in the back seat. "No, I haven't told her about it."

She raised her pale brow as we got into the front seat. "So me coming to live here is going to be a surprise."

"Yeah."

"What's going on with her Tavin?" she asked when we were on the interstate headed to Thousand Oaks.

I let out a breath dragging a hand through my hair. "Since she got into Scripps she's been acting different and running in a crowd that I'm not a fan of."

"She's got a good head on her shoulder even after everything she's been through."

"I know that and I'm sure that I'm over thinking everything but I worry."

"That's normal, I mean she's your only child and you've raised her on your own since she was eight. That wasn't the easiest task especially on top of being groomed to take your father's place in the company."

Silence filled the cab as I clutched the steering wheel then my gaze slowly turned to her. "Thank you Anna," I mumbled causing her to look at me. "I'm sorry for asking you to give up your life to come help me... I just didn't know what else to do."

"Octavius," she breathed using my full name as she slowly reached out a hand to place it on my knee, a gesture my wife always used to comfort me. "Of course I came, it's what Elizabeth would have wanted."