Twenty-Seven

I could tell a dark cloud hung over Tavin as he sat in the back seat of the rental SUV while Gal drove, following the path that was laid out by the low jack. We almost missed out turn because it was grown over and thankfully Galveston was paying attention or else we would have plowed into the rear of a darkly-colored rental that was almost hidden due to the shadows cast by the foliage. The SUV was put into park and I rummaged through the bag at my feet pulling out three flashlights that I passed out after making sure they all worked. The companion in the driver's seat killed the engine and we all got out. "We'll find her," I told Tavin placing a hand on his arm and he looked at me with sad wine-colored eyes.

"I hope so," he muttered and my gaze went to Gal who was watching us with a concerned gaze.

Briars and small branches kept snagging our clothes as we went, the LED beams of our flashlights guiding our way. Every now and again the leaves would shift overhead casting late morning light across the forest floor and the only sound around us seemed to be the rustling. We walked until the forest met what was left of an old, rusted metal fence that marked the boundaries of a cemetery. We shared a look before we stepped over a fallen section of the fence and my eyes swept over each of the headstones. Moss and ivy were growing over everything and my eyes were caught by the stone structure that was being over taken by nature. "Are we sure this is a good idea?" Tavin asked and I looked at him.

"We've come this far," I replied before making my way to the crypt.

After a few moments of hesitation I heard them begin to follow me and together we peered inside. It was empty save for the shelves that held decaying caskets and skeletons. "Anna," Galveston said as I took a step inside and I glanced at him over my shoulder. "What are you doing?"

"Looking."

The beam of my flashlight swept over the names below each burial spaces before my fingers wiped away layered of dust to reveal a name- Aurelia Calloway Dwyer- and beside it was a familiar emblem. How far back does my family's involvement with the Order of Aclima and Aradia go? Stepping away from Aurelia's shelf I pointed my light toward the stone burial vault at the end of the crypt then went to it. It bore no name just a large carving of the order's seal with a slot-like opening below it.

With a mind of its own the hand not holding the light slipped into the pocket of my jeans to pull out my sister's necklace that some tiny part of my brain told me to bring. For a moment I held it in my palm then slipped it into the opening until I felt a click. My heart jumped as something gave way and the vault slid to the side slightly. "How very Indiana Jones," I commented and heard Gal and Tavin enter the crypt.

"Did that thing move?" Gal asked and I glanced at him.

"The charm of the necklace acts as a key," I informed.

He stepped forward and handed me his flashlight then stepped to the vault. The sound of stone on stone filled the room as he pushed the vault farther aside to reveal a stone stairway that led to a dark hallway. I gave the flashlight back to him and looked back at Tavin. "How are you feeling?" I asked softly taking in the way his eyes were locked on the path ahead of us then turned his gaze to me.

"Lets get this over with," he replied solemnly and I cast a glance at Gal who gave a small nod.