Hardships

I was so close to ditching everything at that moment. All I wanted was to run far, far away from here and never come back. Ever. I was so helpless. I felt the warm tears rolling down my cheeks, falling on the floor.

I crouched there and cried, when i realised people were coming up the stairs. I wiped off my tears, with my sleeve, in an instant. I didn't want people seeing me like this. I didn't want to have their attention on me.

I saw some girl and two boys on each side of her, coming from down the stairs. The girl was laughing. Her laugh sounded so light and careless, it nearly made me forget my sadness. The boys accompanying her, with smiles on their faces. They looked so cool and cheerful. Nothing like the jerk that was already waiting, in front of the room.

As more people started grouping up, and stealing odd glances at me, looking at me, my red cheeks, puffed face and eye bags, I decided to get myself together.

That's right. How did I let that piece of shit bring me down? The Evelyn that's emotionless, with a cold expression and stone heart, like they used to describe me in middle school. That Evelyn never let her feelings control her around and just do the most rational thing to do, just like a normal girl. That's who I am and no one can change it!

Just like that, motivated enough, I stood up and headed to the room of the entrance exam. I'm going to nail that exam!

As I got closer, I found the door was open and everyone was already in there. I stepped in and looked around for an empty seat to sit in. I saw the spoiled brat with my peripheral vision and gave him my coldest glare ever, while passing by him, taking my place, right next to the window at the end of the room.

But when I was finally seated, I saw him looking at me, again. Though he was definitely looking softer at me, than I did at him. I stared back at him with simple dislike.

"Good luck." He nearly whispered, with a wicked smirk.

I furrowed my eyebrows at the words, looking very confused. "What the heck was wrong with the boy?" I thought to myself, screaming in my head. This pal here sure had some mental illness. I'm sure of it.

And just like that at 8:00am a teacher entered the room. Explained the way we should proceed with the exam and gave us the papers.

As I picked the pen, my hand trembling, when I turned, a certain someone, was already writing, his head down to the paper. I readjusted my fingers, held the pen steadily and started working on the paper sheet as well.

...

It's finally over. There was a bell ringing to announce the end of the exam. The teacher started taking out our exams in one hand. My "schoolmate" helped him out by taking the papers on his raw of desks. Whenever there was a teacher around him, he has always changed his behaviour, completely. I wondered if he was just acting rudely around me, or he was just a rude prick, that put an act whenever there was someone he can't show his real side to. But whatever.

I probably won't be able to pass the exam, so maybe this was our first and our last encounter. I don't want to care about any of it, anymore. I don't want to bother with him, the exam, the school, the others, everything. It's all behind my back now. It's all over, after all.

I walked out of the school, I felt the urge to turn behind. It was beautiful. It was a place I don't belong. How unfortunate.

...

I was finally back home, laying on my bed. I'm actually happy it's all over now. No matter the results. I don't even care anymore. If I don't pass the exam, I'll try somewhere else, more fitted for me.

It was nearly dinner time. I got out of my room and started helping my mom with preparing the dinner.

Me and my family had dinner together. We talked about dad's work and how was his day. Mom showed us the new plants she got. Me and dad joked about how she would always water them and start panicking if they weren't watered for a day. I explained how my exam went. Didn't add how I already made people hate me and think I'm probably weird. But that's not so important.

After that I had a shower. I loved showering. It's so peaceful and calming. Feeling the cool water all over me. When I was feeling a bit out of it I always showered with cooler water. It made me cool off my body when it was set on fire. I was feeling like that today, so this is my best medicine. It always helps.

I changed into my pyjamas and went straight into bed. I was somehow exhausted, considered I fell asleep the moment i laid on my bed.

...

The next day, I woke up pretty early. It was maybe because i fell asleep straight ahead. I felt so much better and light headed.

It was a great day. The weather was nice, the sun bright, but not making it hot outside. I felt the light breeze, that brought the smell of flower petals and grass, to my senses, just by opening the window of my room.

It was the start of the autumn. Just my favourite season. The leaves of the trees were painted in different shades yellow, orange and red, adding colour to the already perfect scenery outside, making it even more prettier. As it started getting windier outside, the leaves trembled, falling down on the street. Some were strong enough to resist the wind, but some were weak and couldn't help, but fall. Fall far from the tree and the other leaves, as the wind made them go farther away any tree and giving up by falling on the street. Where people were walking and cars were crushing them, the leaves making a little cracking sound, when crushed.

It was sad. It was sad that I felt that way too. That I felt like e small leaf that won't be able to resist the wind and get crushed by the others. Suddenly my thoughts were long lost when the beeping of a notification snapped out of my daydreams.

I turned around. The sound came from my desk. It was probably a notification from my laptop. I jumped out of my bed and plopped on my desk chair, to see it was an email.

"Oh no." I said out loud when I realised it was an email from Crestwood high. My heart started racing miles, my blood rushing down my veins, making my hand tremble, as it was placed on my mouse of the laptop. Beads sweat started forming on my forehead, falling down my neck, just by the thought of it. I found breathing hard. I was too scared to even open the email.